flybill7

Well Known Member
I know the intersection fairings help keep the gear fairings properly aligned. But is there any harm in flying with the gear fairings and wheel pants but without the intersection fairings?

Without them you are relying only on the hose clamp to keep the leg fairings aligned. I think I remember Checkoway did this and his kept breaking the glass. Might be wrong on who did this but I think it was him....

this is what I did with mine. Now I know many don't like this but I did it. I sprayed the foam insulation into the fairings. Yup, I sprayed it heavy on the back side and than just a spot in the front, once on top and once on bottom(you have to do this by the way, because the fairings will go weard, so spray a little in the front). My thinking, if I had to do anything to the brake lines, there is little foam there. I now have 83hrs on the plane and things are holding up real nice. I also have this thought that if things go sour in a few years and I need to remove them. well, I'll just cut them and replace them with new. No biggy to me.

OH, one more thing, I plan on sealing off the top and bottom with some apoxy or fiberglass to seal off the elements for winter and rain.

One more bit of info, get those wheel pants on. I finally got mine on yesterday and I find I have a 10 to 20kts increase in speed. the top end is where I see the most increase. I'm really going now. didn't really start seeing anything until after about 130kts for the increase.

Last edited:
Just bite the bullet! :) Buy some fairings from Fairings ect.; jack up the plane to align with the airflow, and install. Then fly a while like I did, and pull them off again during the annual condition inspection to paint.

Yep.............it's all a pain in the rear, and I hate fiberglass immensely!
In fact, I'm going out right now to fill pin holes for a second evening in a row. What a %#&* pain!

But I'll feel good when it's done... :D

L.Adamson

I have a set of............

Gary Hunter Intersection Fairings that I was going to use on my RV6, includes upper & lower intersection fairings, plus wing root fairings. They are already filled and painted Bright Red with PPg. I paid $650.00, will sell for $600.00+ shipping. They are really nice. I think they will fit a 7.

No Problem

Hi Bill,

I flew quite a while without the intersection fairings with no problem. This was helped by putting just a little bit of spray foam in the top and bottom to keep them from spinning on the legs. Do not put too much in though because the stuff is also glue and will make it difficult to pull them off to paint the fairings when you get to that point.

No need to seal the tops and bottoms completely with the spray foam. Any moisture from wx or condensation that gets in needs a way to get out.

Call Mark...

at Team Rocket. I have rocket gear leg and intersection fairings on my plane... sweet! :D and a no brainer install.

I've flown my 9A without the intersections for about 70 hours and no issues. Only thing holding them in place is the hose clamp at the top. But, like some others here, mine are now off (causing a loss of 15 mph!) for pinhole filling prior to painting next month.

greg

Well, I tried making the upper left intersection fairing using the clay method. What a fiasco! It came out horrible. I bit the bullet and ordered a set from Fairings Etc. In the meantime, thanks for the advice, I'll fly with the gear fairings and wheel pants sans intersections fairings. Maybe I'll put a second hose clamp at the lower end until the I-fairings are on.

Well, I tried making the upper left intersection fairing using the clay method. What a fiasco! It came out horrible. I bit the bullet and ordered a set from Fairings Etc. In the meantime, thanks for the advice, I'll fly with the gear fairings and wheel pants sans intersections fairings. Maybe I'll put a second hose clamp at the lower end until the I-fairings are on.

Same reason I did! :)

My homemade nose gear fairing was so so. The clay method for the mains also turned out pure c-r-a-p! At that point, I ordered the Fairings ETC.
Finally got them painted today. Rest of the plane has been painted for two years.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

edit: Even c-r-a-p won't show. Makes someone think I wrote the S word :D

BTW--- even though I had the intersection fairings which keep the leg fairings in position; one of the tabs that's held by the hose clamp tore off.
Just something to keep in mind, if that's all that's holding the leg fairings on.

Last edited:
Without them you are relying only on the hose clamp to keep the leg fairings aligned. I think I remember Checkoway did this and his kept breaking the glass. Might be wrong on who did this but I think it was him....
Dan was right on, I flew without the fairings and the tabs broke off. Now the only thing holding mine in place are the intersection fairings.

...This was helped by putting just a little bit of spray foam in the top and bottom to keep them from spinning on the legs...
Use caution with the Great Stuff foam. The word is that the stuff will hold water and cause your gear legs to rust, over time. If you use it against aluminum, you will be OK, as long as no water gets to it.

Last edited:

The hose clamp did keep the fairings aligned. Until the little tabs snapped off like they were nothing.

Could have been my half-*** job. Or my naivete thinking clamps alone might keep that stuff aligned without the benefit/support of upper intersection fairings.