Brantel

Well Known Member
I have seen several threads with comments on the intersection fairings... Fairings Etc vs Vans vs Make your own...

The picture I am making from all of this is that no matter which one you buy, there is work involved in making them fit.

Bruce Reynolds mentioned in a post that Vans were never intended to be ready to use and since you have to make them fit anyway, Van's is easier to customize.

I really don't want to start from scratch but I also want to save money if I can. I don't mind layups that much as long as I have a base to work from. Don't like the idea of shaping clay.

Has anyone bought Van's recently and are the recent ones the same quality that everyone has posted about in the past?

Is there any merit to the argument from Bruce that Van's are just as easy to modify since you have to do that most of the time anyway?

fairings etc

I made the gear intersection fairings myself- - they came out terrible, so I made them again. they're better but still not presentable. decided to follow the lead of others, and ordered the emp fairing and nosegear fairing (yes, begginers model) from bob s. the nosegear fairing literally fit, as delivered. the emp fairing required minimal effort. will be ordering the main fairings from him also. . they aren't cheap, though in my mind save lots of time and frustration. if you decide to make your own using the clay per plans, ensure the vicinity is masked off with non-porous material of some sort.

i got vans they look thin but ok. the instructions say to fit them and build them up some. i have messed with them some.

i have little doubt they will work fine.

Data points

Is there any merit to the argument from Bruce that Van's are just as easy to modify since you have to do that most of the time anyway?
I suppose there is some merit to the argument that you have to modify the fairings anyway.......but only up to a point. I generally accept that fact when attaching the LOWER intersection fairings because no matter who the vendor is, you still have to bond and fair in the lower fairings to the wheel pants and that can only be done after the wheel pants are fitted with the intersection fairings aligned to the installed wheel pants and gear leg fairings. That said, I did not have to modify the -6A Fairings-etc. UPPER gear leg fairings at all since they fit right out of the box. The same can be said for my experience with a second purchase from Fairings-etc. The photo shows just how well Bob's upper -8 fairings designed for Grove airfoil gear fit right out of the box. Since I have never worked with Van's intersection fairings, I cannot comment on the quality or out-of-the-box fit.

In the end, you still have some fiberglass work to do but whether the work will be minor or extensive in nature depends on the quality of the product's initial fit and how you view such work in the first place.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick,

Just as another data point I have a freind who used FE's uppers on his 6A and the upper left fit fine but the upper right did not fit at all so I guess sometimes you get lucky!:D

I got Van's fairings but haven't put them on yet. As noted above, it seems no matter what you buy, there is likely some glass work involved in getting them to fit like you want. I felt it was a worthwhile purchase as a starting point rather than doing the clay thing. That said, I just finished the snorkel extension inside the lower cowl and it was pretty easy - certainly easier than I had imagined from reading the instructions.

greg

Hate fiberglass work

I absolutely detest working on fiberglass, however this is what I did.

I used the Vans intersection fairings. They are a bit thin. I sanded them and then laid up another layer of bi-directional cloth them before fitting. Was able to get a nicer surface on them by doing so.

I stopped by the paint shop today to check on the progress and got a nice compliment by the painter that I had done a lot of work on the fiberglass before he got the pieces. We laughed about "we'll see" once he shoots the primer.