crabandy

Well Known Member
I'm planning on remaking my intersection fairings and would like to tweak the shape/mounting slightly. I've got the mounting figured out but would like some pointers on shape.
I had quite a bit of oil running everywhere during the 0 G testing, looked like the airflow was good except for the trailing edge of my upper intersection fairings. I'm thinking I need to enlarge the trailing edge radius but not sure how much. Also I'm thinking about trying to shrink the front radius. Ideas?
50C36DA6-C600-45B3-A11B-280D1039F22B_zpsixpfbc7x.jpg

Hey Andy,
I may not be much help as your fairing looks like a good start. The only thing I might add is that I learned from sailing that a keel needed to have a fairly sharp flat trailing edge. Not blunt or rounded. Kinda goes against logic as my first new set of Hobie rudders I spent time making them sharp until I found out this was a no-no. Instead used a file to file the back flat. Seems like that would be hard to carry up into the larger part of the fairing.

Hey Andy,
I may not be much help as your fairing looks like a good start. The only thing I might add is that I learned from sailing that a keel needed to have a fairly sharp flat trailing edge. Not blunt or rounded. Kinda goes against logic as my first new set of Hobie rudders I spent time making them sharp until I found out this was a no-no. Instead used a file to file the back flat. Seems like that would be hard to carry up into the larger part of the fairing.

Yeah, first set was a good start but I think I can do better. As for the trailing edge, you think the curved radius trailing edge of the fairing is fine but to "flatten" the trailing edge with a file to about 1/8 inch?

When I made these I basically tried to mimic what I've seen on other RV's.

I cut a shape for the trailing edge out of .063 aluminum and taped it into position behind the trailing edge of the leg fairing.
DA9D283D-7479-4BC6-A597-951082104952_zpsbyhhu6yb.jpg

Smushed clay around it and rolled a shape into it with various round objects.
863F2AD3-6A9A-4EC5-9883-4A3C30115EDC_zps6eijxbau.jpg

16B9469A-9082-499A-BE34-219B4283A33F_zpsz79avtqn.jpg

F83ACF54-27F6-4362-947B-A0798C96115C_zpsu6zqg2jw.jpg

I originally split the upper intersection fairings along the trailing edge, but on the next set I would like to split them parallel with the gear leg fairing on the underneath side. Kinda like I did with the lower intersection fairings.
3A64B5C6-C4D1-44AD-8C5A-BA9935A7DB55_zpsman6rtx4.jpg

Any tips/ideas on making my second set are appreciated, hoping to have a better plan besides "Here Goes Nothing!"