Mark Browning

Has anyone had an intermittent GPS failure on GNS430 ?

I have an intermittent loss of GPS signal? . I can fly for days without any problems then for no apparent reason the gps will go off for a while before coming back on.

I flew to London Yesterday,the gps was inoperative for 50 minutes of the hour it took to fly there.
On the way back it was fine ? I haven?t replaced anything yet, my guess is to replace the coax and antenna any suggestionsare appreciated

RV-7
Antenna location underneath the upper cowling
Thanks

Mark

Mark, yes, seems to be an elusive problem though... There is at least one other long thread about this, search for 430 and gps and I'll bet you find it.

GPS 430

I have a Garmin 420. Before I upgraded it to a 420W, I would occasionally get a lost of GPS signal for the display, first time it happened was on the way into Sun 'n Fun way back then. Turned out to be the BNC cable/antenna connection under the cowl. Cleaned up the copper tip and worked fine. After the 420W upgrade with its screw in fitting and different antenna, I have had no problems.

Plus 1

BNC connectors - find the appropriately rated technician to do a "certified" disconnect & reconnect.

Dan

Long story on my issue with a 430W here.

Keep in mind mine was a 430W which uses a different antenna than the 430.

So far so good on the final fix which was a new antenna. Had no issues since. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Garmin and Stein were very helpful getting me to this point.

Brantel, check back when you have about a year on it without problems. I've had mine go almost that long without a failure, then three in two months, etc.. I hope the antenna fixes yours for good, but...

Mark, I had the same issue you are. Taking a few minutes with an ohmmeter checking the continuity of the of the coax while wiggling the center contacts of the BNCs might be worth the time. I found my issue this way. Cheap and quick fix.
Joe

Thanks Guys for the help here, As my connectors are crimped on i will start with a new coax and connectors. Cheap fix would be great; I would rather buy AVGAS than spend on an antenna :)

Cheers

Mark

Yesterday went to the airfield to replace the coax and installed new BNC connectors.
I flew twice in the afternoon with no hint of signal failure, if fact I had the sat page on all the time monitoring the signal strength. All the bars were rock solid so hopefully that?s it. I guess time will tell.