RV7AAAAAAA

The screen on my Dynon D-120 EMS went blank right after take off yesterday morning and stayed off for approx. 10 - 15 min. returning home from Angel Fire NM (AXX) to Farmington NM (FMN). (The screen was kind of white not the black you would see when the unit was off). This has happened a few times before in the past but came back in a few seconds. Until I fix this problem I will only fly close to home base. So no LOE for me.
Turning the power off/on to this unit (separate circuit breaker) did nothing. Eventually it came on by itself and stayed on for the rest of the trip and continues to work perfectly now.

I am hoping that if some one else has had this problem they can tell me their fix.

Now for the history and stuff:
1. RV7A 0320 Dynon D100, D120, AP74, 396, A210 GTX 320.
2. 1st flight approx. 9-10 mos. ago with 100 hrs on the plane. I spent many hours on this panel with close attention to details.
3. Harnesses built by Stein

Tech support at Dynon told me a few things to look for but no joy! They offered to take a look at it but didn't sound too optimistic due to it being a an intermittent problem. If money wasn't a problem I'd just buy a spare D120 and store it in the airplane.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated
Thanks
Jim Kirks
RV7AAAAAAA

Engine sensor ground

Hi Jim,

I had a very similar situation with my EMS - D10. Look for a loose engine sensor wire that will sometimes touch ground. In my case it was the carb temp sensor. When this happens the display would go blank or continually reboot.

The good guys at Dynon helped me troubleshoot and we finally nailed it down.

Good Luck!

EMS-120

Could HEAT be the problem. Did it sit outside with the canopy closed for a long time before you flew it. Avionics can get really hot in the sun in a closed canopy and when they cool off they start working. Bob.

D120 problem

Hi Jim,

I had a very similar situation with my EMS - D10. Look for a loose engine sensor wire that will sometimes touch ground. In my case it was the carb temp sensor. When this happens the display would go blank or continually reboot.

The good guys at Dynon helped me troubleshoot and we finally nailed it down.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. Heat should not have been a factor. OAT 70 that morning (breakfast run)

Pete
Dynon support suggested looking at the carb temp sensor and manifold pressure wires for an intermittent ground problem just as you described. But everything looks good. I was thinking about disconnecting these 2 things for a while and see what happens (or doesn't happen)
I wonder if the carb temp sensor itself could short to ground intermittently?

Jim Kirks
RV7AAAAAAA

Mine went blank on me on a damp humid summer morning. Not uncomon for electronics to have problems in these conditions so have a back up.