lockeed

Well Known Member
Hey guys, In my plane I have the black plastic vents with round tip that you can close. But, as you probably know, they don't close 100%, they always let some air in... Somebody told me to get the metal vent as those usualy offer a good seal when you close them.

Any suggestions? I plan on flying during winter so I want to make sure I get the best vents possible.

Let me know what you think.

THX! :D

I'm...

... using Vans stock vents.

In the winter, I just cover the opening with a piece of wide tape. That stops the draft.

In the summer, the little air which comes through them in closed position is very nice. (the tape is removed by then ofcourse)

If I remember correctly, the manual describes how to make a seal inside of them, if you want them to close completely.

Those two pieces of tape saves me quite alot of money, because those metal-vents are a little too expensive for my liking...

2nd Vote for SteinAir Vents

I got the ones from SteinAir, not exactly cheap, but I don?t think you can find anything better. Their customer service is excellent by the way! Once you have them, you won?t be disappointed.

Black Plastic Vents

If I remember, there is information on how you can get a better seal on Van's vents. You open them up, sand the edge and put RTV sealant on the edges, close it and let it harden. Then push them open. You might have to put a bit of wax on the smooth side before you add the sealant. That was how I did my 6A when it came time to do it. On my 8A I bought the Stien vent.

Yeah the Stein looks great, but I'd like to get something with a square base, instead on a round design.. .as my original vents are built like that and I wouldn't want to modify my brackets...

Another vote for the Stein vents

I bought the Stein vents and you can't beat the quality. Yes you are paying more but you do get your money's worth. You can see a better picture of them at ACS

STEINAIR AV125B EYEBALL VENT

Paul

another solution

When I buiilt my rv7a 4 years ago I got vents from Affordable Panels and they have worked out great. When I upgraded the rv10 panel this winter I wanted to replace the original vents from Vans, so I ordered vents from Affordable Panels again. They have a square base like the originals, but they seal!! Check them out.

I have the van's plastic vents right now, just looking to upgrade... That's why I wonder if the less expensive (and probably as effective) piper style vents would fit... I'll take measurements and see...

Somebody else already posted the link to the Van's metal vents. They are great and have a square base which makes them a drop in replacement for the plastic vents. They come in clear aluminum or black. Very good quality and expensive, but well worth it.