flyboy1963

Well Known Member
I have a rather spartan interior....what are your 'must do' upgrades??
I am planning some 1/2" foam sheet soundproofing for the floor of my -9a;
- is it worth doing the firewall and cabin sides?
- what kind of carpet works best...weight vs wear and ease of cleaning.
- Does the soundproofing need to be glued to the floor to work??? ...or can I leave it loose under the carpet so I can vacuum out all the grit etc that invariably accumulates?

any and all opinions welcome.....

There are a couple of ways.....

.....to consider, Perry. Yesterday I spoke to Luke at Classic Aero about this same thing. He provides a foam base already bonded to the carpet for the 7 and -9's. On the -6's he velcros the foam down and then the carpet velcro's to that so all of it remains removable for vacuuming.

Foam on the firewall and under the feet sure helps soften the exhaust "droning" and vibrating under your feet.

Regards,

Perry, another nice benefit....

With my carpet glued to the sides of my fuse. I can now place my Velcro wrapped pen anywhere and it doesn't roll away.

"Now where did I stick my pen last time?"

Kent

Foam sandwich

There was an article I think in Kit Planes that said the firewall and the area near the exhaust were the most important places to sound insulate. I have a copy of the article that I can pdf and send to you if you want.

Basically what it says is to make a sandwich with foam as the bread and a layer of regular household aluminum foil as the meat. I just completed that on my fuselage and although I won't fly until next year, people have said that it makes a big difference. It was pretty easy. I used spray on adhesive to stick the sandwich together and Velcro to attach it to the firewall. I also used a single layer of foam on the sides back to the baggage area covered in upholstery fabric.

Last edited:
Which foam did you...

There was an article I think in Kit Planes that said the firewall and the area near the exhaust were the most important places to sound insulate. I have a copy of the article that I can pdf and send to you if you want.

Basically what it says is to make a sandwich with foam as the bread and a layer of regular household aluminum foil as the meat. I just completed that on my fuselage and although I won't fly until next year, people have said that it makes a big difference. It was pretty easy. I used spray on adhesive to stick the sandwich together and Velcro to attach it to the firewall. I also used a single layer of foam on the sides back to the baggage area covered in upholstery fabric.

...use?

If it's auto foam, try a flame test, some of it will flare right up whena match is put to it.

It's from Aircraft Spruce

I know you have to be careful with foam because some can make you dead if they burn not to mention flammability! :eek: I got mine from a friend who had left overs from some he purchased from Aircraft Spruce so it's the good stuff.

It's the black stuff...

I know you have to be careful with foam because some can make you dead if they burn not to mention flammability! :eek: I got mine from a friend who had left overs from some he purchased from Aircraft Spruce so it's the good stuff.

...correct?

You can always go to your local flooring center and buy carpet that has a "Class 1" fire rating. That's the top commercial rating and means the carpet self-extinguishes in a short time.

Typically, you are looking for a commercial grade loop pile carpet made of the nylon 6.6 fiber. NOT nylon 6, which is slightly different, more flammable fiber. You should be able to find an intelligent person at your local flooring center (try a store front, not a big box) to help you pick what you want.

After you pick your carpet, use spray adhesive to attach some of the non-flammable foam from Aircraft Spruce or equivalent, and you're good to go.

By the way, use a razor knife to cut your carpet to match poster board templates of your your floorboard. Put a little cardboard under the carpet when you cut it on your garage floor...

Automotive...

You can always go to your local flooring center and buy carpet that has a "Class 1" fire rating. That's the top commercial rating and means the carpet self-extinguishes in a short time.

Typically, you are looking for a commercial grade loop pile carpet made of the nylon 6.6 fiber. NOT nylon 6, which is slightly different, more flammable fiber. ......

Kyle...how do the automotive carpets rate on this scale?

carpet.....tips 'n tricks

thanks everyone for the great tips....

I bought 1/2" IVC Ensolite from an air maintenance place that restores Otters etc. on the advice of a local Rv builder. apparently it will not support a flame.
As far as carpet, and upholstery, I plan to spray it all with fire retardant anyway, but starting with wool or some other burn-resistant stuff is always a good idea.
The acoustic reports I read echo the sandwich idea....aluminum aircraft skin, low density core, then a thin skin again to block what ever high frequencies get thru. Glueing might physically stop some of the drumming, but if not glued I suppose it will still damp the low frequencies.
I think I'll try that first!..I'm off to some marine carpet & upholstery shops.

PY