AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
Using the search tool I found seemingly endless information (and opinions) on primers for the interior (I settled on 7220), but little on a top coat for the primer. I realize that two-part epoxy is the ultimate, but I want to use a rattle can for the top coat. Has anyone had good results with a particular top coat? I've seen the DupliColor hammered finish mentioned a couple of times. Other opinions?

Thanks.

Jerre

Has anyone had good results with a particular top coat? I've seen the DupliColor hammered finish mentioned a couple of times. Other opinions?

Jerre, I figured the interior to see more wear than the exterior, particularily because I decided to paint while the interior was still easily accessible to a paint gun( without the side skins attached ). I chose Stewart water-borne 2K paint and am amazed till today how much abuse that paint takes without chipping.

I used rustoleum hammered finish, it takes longer to dry than others. After dry I found it to be hard and durable.

Bird

I've been using Rustoleum aluminum primer and their enamel topcoats, all in rattle cans, all from Home Depot.

Also used them for the MLG SB doublers.

No complaints. Maybe I'm not too picky. Looks good to me.

Bob Bogash
N737G

I used a light grey spray can primer from Home Depot and sprayed clear matte over it from a spray can. It came out really nice. I've used this combo on two other homebuilts and always been happy.

Possible improvement?

I was snooping around HDAS (Home Depot Aircraft Supply) the other day and discovered Rustoleum's new 'one-step' primer and paint product line. I experimented with a couple colors I might want to use on the interior, both with good results. I sprayed each on separate pieces of scrap 2024 after scuffing with maroon scotch brite pads. It sprayed nicely, and after a few days 'cure' stood up well to scratch and chip tests. The cured product seems to be much harder than spray can products I've used before. Also, Rustoleum has integrated a new, easy to use trigger assembly to replace the spray nozzle I've always hated.
Anybody have any experience with this?

I used a light grey spray can primer from Home Depot and sprayed clear matte over it from a spray can. It came out really nice. I've used this combo on two other homebuilts and always been happy.

By clear I'm assuming it's like a clear coat on car paint? This sounds interesting.

I'm planning to leave some of the interior primed with no top coat. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for all the advice.

Jerre

Sure! The clear coat can be applied same as color paint. And will help a lot on durability. Clear can be high gloss or matte finish if glare is a problem.

Bird

It was a clear matte spray in a spray can. I can't remember the exact name, but it was whatever was in the locked cage with the rest of the ghetto fountain pens! :)