p51dplt

Well Known Member
I have been searching the forums and I haven't found a lot of info on decent manufactured side panel kits. Have any of you installed Flightline or Cleveland kits? Pros/Cons? Are there any other options out there I just haven't found?

Please help!

Thanks Mike. The interior of your 10 is beautiful. It looks like the side panels have snaps to keep them in place? Was that at your request or is that standard?

Thanks Mike. The interior of your 10 is beautiful. It looks like the side panels have snaps to keep them in place? Was that at your request or is that standard?

Thanks, the beauty is all someone else's work, all I did was install it:D

The things that look like snaps are actually a two part cover for the screws that mount the interior-----came with the panels. The alternative was cup washers and flat head screws or similar, but Laura wanted the buttons things that Abby sent.

The rest of the installation is done with Velcro, and the carpet is glued in.

Nice written instructions came with the interior.

Did you fly up here a year or two ago in an 8, came to look at the 3 that was for sale??

Yes, I came up in one of the Meerkats. I would of loved to get Gary's 3, just couldn't swing it at the time. I just picked up a nice 8 up in Independence. Now comes all the fun stuff and putting my touches on it, new panel, interior, light weight starter, ect....

Come on down sometime.

Thought that was you.

We will have to fly down the one of these days, and you are welcome to come here anytime.

Take care, fly safe.

make your own side panels

I made my own side panels. When I ordered my seats from Classic Aero Design, I bought a yard and a half of extra fabric.

I cut insert panels from 0.016 aluminum, and wrapped the fabric around the panels, attached with spray adhesive.

Then, I put 1/4" sound treatment foam (the black stuff that ACS sells) on the back of the panels, and attached them to the fuselage with 5 squares of velcro on each panel. I made a panel for each bay of skin that is exposed, and also wrapped my side pocket panels. I also used the Classic Aero arm rests in the back seat.

At the same time, I also put the 1/4" sound treatment under all the floor panels, and put some rubber-mat carpet on the forward floor ahead of the spar.

All this treatment added almost 20 lbs.

It gives the RV-8 a much more finished look, but I can not say that I could tell a difference in sound level or temperature. Maybe in the back, covering the lower side covers below the arm rests helps with temperature if the back seater happens to lean against the side. But in hind sight, I don't think I would bother with the sound treatment. Just the fabric on the panel inserts would be nice.

Last edited:
I made my own side panels. When I ordered my seats from Classic Aero Design, I bought a yard and a half of extra fabric.

I cut insert panels from 0.016 aluminum, and wrapped the fabric around the panels, attached with spray adhesive.

Then, I put 1/4" sound treatment foam (the black stuff that ACS sells) on the back of the panels, and attached them to the fuselage with 5 squares of velcro on each panel. I made a panel for each bay of skin that is exposed, and also wrapped my side pocket panels. I also used the Classic Aero arm rests in the back seat.

At the same time, I also put the 1/4" sound treatment under all the floor panels, and put some rubber-mat carpet on the forward floor ahead of the spar.

All this treatment added almost 20 lbs.

It gives the RV-8 a much more finished look, but I can not say that I could tell a difference in sound level or temperature. Maybe in the back, covering the lower side covers below the arm rests helps with temperature if the back seater happens to lean against the side. But in hind sight, I don't think I would bother with the sound treatment. Just the fabric on the panel inserts would be nice.

Do you have any pictures you could post or email to me?

[email protected]