Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I wanted to pass on some useful information on interior paint suppliers and paints.

I have read through many posts about interior paints and even posted a few questions about the type and durability. I decided the Sherwin Williams Dimension series Urethane Enamel was the paint I was going to use on the interior on my RV-7A.

I contacted the local Sherwin Williams Industrial finishes store (not the regular Sherwin Williams paint store) which was way on the other side of town. I asked if there were any other automotive sources for the SW paint and he mentioned only on other in town. It was a very tiny paint shop and I wondered if they really knew much about the SW paint.

I was hoping for a semi-gloss interior finish but the SW guy told me that the Dimension series doesn't have a flattener in the series so I was out of luck.

I decided to purchase a new HVLP spay gun and pick up a quart of SW paint and start painting my canopy frame. I called around and found that NAPA had the spray gun (Sharpe Finex FX300 1.4 tip) for close to the internet price after shipping. While I was picking up the spray gun at NAPA the paint guy asked me if I wanted to buy some paint. I told him I was planning on using some urethane enamel from another source. He then asked me if I was aware that NAPA sells a urethane enamel (trade name:Crossfire) that is manufactured by SW. It turns out that the NAPA paint is the SW Dimension series paint (I saw the Crossfire can with the SW info on it). Not only does NAPA sell the same paint, the paint guy could flatten it for me. So I messed around with different gray color samples (they actually mixed small quantities of paint for me to see the gloss and color levels) and then bought the paint-1 1/2 quarts for around $80 (include hardener and reducer). I believe this was even less expensive then the SW store.

I sprayed the gray and it came out really nice. I even bought 1/2 pint of flat back urethane enamel to paint the glare shield ($9).

So for those who wish to paint their interiors with SW dimension urethane enamel and have a NAPA auto store with a paint department you don't have to look any further.

BTW-The NAPA paint guy was so helpful. It turns out that he helped an RV-4 builder several years ago with a paint purchase and in return for his help he got a ride in the RV-4. So this guy knew exactly what my project entailed.

NAPA has got a new very satisfied customer.

Paul

NAPA Crossfire Urethane Enamel

Thanks for the tip, Paul

I'm finally at the "paint the interior" stage, so I'll check out NAPA's Crossfire urethane enamel.

Question: What primer did you use? I'm using PPG DP48LF (White) which I assume will provide a good primer base for a urethane enamel.

Also, when painting, did you wear a cartridge-type respirator or use a fresh-air system?

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer
Chino Hills, CA
RV-8A "In-Work"

Primers

Bill,

I used the SW self etch primer on the canopy frame and AKZO epoxy primer on the inside of the fuselage. I only painted the canopy frame with the SW UE but I did paint a test part that was primered with the AKZO. One side of the test part was scotch brited and the other sanded with 320 grit prior to paint. I will do a tape test and a scratch test in the next few days to determine which prep method is best.

I bought a reusable 3M 7500 series 1/2 mask respirator ($15.75) and 3M (6001) Organic Vapor Cartridges ($6.65/pair). The 7500 has a very soft silicon face seal that works very well. No regrets. I purchased these from Boss Safety (http://www.boss-safety.com).

Since I was only going to paint the fuselage and canopy I didn't see any reason to go all out.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Paul,

The AKZO epoxy primer is very good and roughly equivalent to what I'm using, so your test should be good data for me - - Thanks!

Also, I checked with a friend of mine who has considerable automobile painting experience, and he said a half-mask respirator/cartridge system is fine for just infrequent urethane painting. He cautioned that the painting area should be well-ventilated, and he recommended a disposable painting suit and gloves to make sure no toxic fumes are absorbed through large areas of the skin (typically, arms). He said that a fresh-air system and full suit is usually employed by professionals, but their monthly exposure is very high, so every precaution is necessary.

Thanks Again,

Bill