RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I am trying to figure out the best method to use to paint my interior as far as preparation is concerned. I used rattle can primer (duplicolor) for the wings and tail, but for the interior I want to have it professionally painted; soooo, what is a good process?

For the parts I rattle canned, I:
1. scotchbrite pad scuff using dawn/water
2. wipe with MEK
3. shoot the primer

Should I do all of this the same, and just not prime? What about the non alcad parts?

If I scuff up everything, wipe with MEK, and rivet it all together, then once its assembled take it somewhere to get primed and painted will I be creating issues on the parts (places where the metal joins) that never get any primer/paint/corrosion protection?

What about not scuffing anything up and just cleaning with MEK (or something similar) and rivet it together?

Hopefully I explained that well enough. Not looking to start a primer war or nothing, just want to find out what process others have used and what process will be best for the person who ultimately paints the interior of this thing.

Thanks is advance.

Your question is a tough one because ...

...if you're going to have it professionally painted, the "correct" primer and prep method depends on the painter. They all have their preferences and prejudices.
The professional paint route is fine if your not planning on an upholstered interior. I primed and painted almost all my interior panels myself 3 or more years ago, and then covered all that up with carpet and leather in the last 2 months. Had I known, I could have opted for some kind of protectant that was less time consuming.

Not going to prime

I'm not planning on priming the parts that I am going to have painted, I just want to know what is the best state to leave the bare metal in, scuffed or not.