Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi All,

I'm getting to the point of painting the interior on my 14. Funny I find making decisions about the avionics/mechanical options easy but colour choices are a bit more challenging.

I'm leaning towards SW Jetflex Gray WR (paint code 7802). I'd appreciate if I could ask the VAF gang if they could post a pic or two of any gray toned interior prior installation to any type "Classic Aero" panels. Anything that catches a panel shot would be great.

Thanks Jim

Last edited:
Stewart Systems battleship grey

I used stewart systems Battleship Grey. Fantastic paint to work with, cured up really durable and easy to spray and clean up.

29881516454_4f4fd05c79_k.jpg

29880270213_852ff68bec_k.jpg

Alex

Last edited:
Alex - did you use Stewart Systems primer underneath or did you just etch and paint? I've been using the Eko Prime and am pretty happy with it. I'm not sure how durable just the primer is though.

Thanks
Charlie

Primer

I did use the eko-prime primer on all the bare metal surfaces. I used the eko-poly over the primer on the interior. I would not reccomend applying top coat directly to etched bare metal. I did find the primer durable, and adhered great but as with any flat finish primer, it shows dirt and fingerprints that are tough to get off.

The big thing I found with Stewart is follow the instructions to the T, and make sure every last little edge and corner has had the apropriate prep work done and the top coat will go on great.

Alex

Jet Flex

Here's mine. Panel is not done yet.
Jet Flex Solvent Based Basic Grey flat (BAC704) and Black flat (BAC706)
Painted before riveting so rivets and screws would contrast.
2vlwiag.jpg

Color Match

JetFlex water based paint is great stuff, but don't worry about colors.

Alliance Coatings did a great job mixing paint to match a color chip I sent them, all for a small fee.

Pick the color you like, from an auto interior or from Home Depot color chips, and make the paint the color you want, not some stock color. :)

http://www.alliancecoatings.com/

As Gil said, keep looking around and start checking colours out. I have used filing cabinet grey and Airbus toilet interior grey previously. Just get a sample colour matched and away you go.

Make sure that the mix for both the interior and exterior are written down inside the cover of the logbook as soon as you decide, otherwise you will forget and need to mix some up later.

I went with the Jetflex WR Pepperdust color. Get a color chart. Mine is amazingly close to the paint chip on the chart. I've just started spraying the individual pieces.

I used the SPI epoxy primer. It is tough as nails and inexpensive. It also reduces weight by avoiding both a primer and top coat. It only comes in one color though. However, I like the light gray.

Larry