jcmcdowell

Well Known Member
I've lost the use of my commuter spam piper. Renting is not a good option. I'm wrapping up wings, QB fuse, low time o-320 enroute for a 9a (i.e. 32k invested thus far with another 30k to go). Still ATLEAST 6mos out with intense time invested to get the plane close to flying. I'm also getting itchy to fly on a regular basis again.

It's 10 hours round trip to drive home for the weekend, it's 4 hours in a spam can, it's about 3 hours with RV speeds.

I 'could' invest in a 30k ish spam/RV (RV4?), knowing it will extend the build time.

Save the money- more car time- less work time- less build time- less weekend visits
Spend the cash- happier wife- slightly slower build- less available cash to build- hope to recoup most cash and sell commuter plane as RV9a wraps.

What's the 'been there' and .02$ from the peanut gallery- opinions and creative options welcome.

Eight hour round trip in a spam can at, say, $30 per hour = $240 plus the aggravation owning a spam can will cause. At that rate I'd be looking at airline tickets. Of course, that depends on where 'home' is.

mdredmond said:
Eight hour round trip in a spam can at, say, $30 per hour = $240 plus the aggravation owning a spam can will cause.
?

Aggravation of an commercial airport trumps aggravation of maintaining a airplane everyday for me.

IMO, any RV, Cessna, Beech, Piper not having a bunch of expensive ADs or other hidden issues should hold its value and just might appreciate over the year or two between now and when you finish your RV. If you've got the money available, I personally would look for a solid RV or fast production plane to make that 10 hr trip.

But this depends on transportation conveniences. You have commercial airports at each end? Small airports and hangar/tiedowns at either end?

99.9% sure you can't write off this commute on your personal taxes. But maybe there's some way you could structure a venture to allow you to soak up the airplane travel expenses and offset taxes.

jcmcdowell said:
I've lost the use of my commuter spam piper. Renting is not a good option. I'm wrapping up wings, QB fuse, low time o-320 enroute for a 9a (i.e. 32k invested thus far with another 30k to go). Still ATLEAST 6mos out with intense time invested to get the plane close to flying. I'm also getting itchy to fly on a regular basis again.
What's the 'been there' and .02$ from the peanut gallery- opinions and creative options welcome.
If you fit in a 150 / 152, consider one - it's a slow but cheap way to fly, decent IFR platform, great resale value. After flying it, your 9A will feel like a Rocket :D

Piper Tomahawks are a very good value. I loved mine. The sight pictures are very similar to the side by side RV's, but the Tomahawk has a fair amount more elbow and baggage room.

They also have pretty good exterior visibility, althought it doesn't compare to the bubble canopy on an RV...

WHich would be better? 150/152 or RV4 for value?

Kinda apples and oranges-

In Atl there are airports everywhere. On the other end is SSI or a grass strip near the house.

Commercial travel- fugetaboutit- that's why I got a PPL- enough anal probing and long lines. I'll be one less worry to our airport security officals and fly GA.

I guess the question is- how low can you go? 15k for a Cessna 150 or 37k for a RV4 is a lot of dough in between.

Is the time in a RV4 worth the extra dough, is the Cessna a better investment (max return on investment does not mean positive).

In our Piper- 10GPH burn; 2.5hrs travel; $4/gal= $100 each way
In a RV- 7GPH; 1.5hrs travel; $4/gal= $42 each way
In my DODGE RAM 1500- 13mpg; 4.5 hrs travel; 260 miles; $3/gal= $60 each way

Which would sell faster a spam can or a RV? Holding onto a RV4 longer wouldn't be as painful as waiting a year to sell a Cessna.

or do nothing?

1-figure the wx into your spam or 'cheap' RV trips.....I'm sure the wx on both ends of the weekend visits could/would be a factor thus limiting trips...not sure if you are flying VFR or not???

2-planes are a LOT easier to buy than to sell......whatever you buy you'll need to sell when the time comes.....you might sell it in a week or it might take months....meanwhile you'll be waiting for your return to purchase RV parts.

I don't know your geography....but.....by the time you DRIVE to the airport, fly home, and DRIVE home from the airport on the other end (transferring bags etc).....I'd be curious to know how much time are you really saving over driving?

I take it you're building at the 'other end' of the 5 hour (each way drive)???Here's a tip...no charge - take some tools and 'small' parts with you during your time away from home. Servo brackets, trim brackets, instrument panel, radios for wiring, seat backs, primed wheel pants and fairings that can be sanded, etc etc.....work on this stuff when you're not at home.....every little bit helps!

Right now you KNOW what you have.....I'd go with driving and building. Get one of your RV buds to scratch that 'itch' of yours once and while and you'll be just fine :) .

Let us know what you decide...and good luck!

The Cessna 150/152 series don't fluctuate much in price. They are the bottom of the market, and pretty much will be between 15 and 25K for the forseeable future. Experimentals don't necessarily have that luxtury. I'd be willing to bet that -4's will become cheaper as time goes on. More -7 and -8's will go on the market, driving the total cost down. Look maybe into a Whitman Tailwind if you can find one. They are pretty cheap (15-25K), and FAST. Downside, hard to land... unless you get a nosewheel one.

I'm going to vote no on this one. I've known quite a few people who maintained an aircraft while building. It takes a considerable amount of time and money away from the project. An experimental takes more time and a "spam can" takes more money. Yes, the maintaining of currency is good, but you can do that other ways. It's a personal decision that only you can make.

Good Comments...

Couple the time/energy of a plane into the normal distractions of 'life'- I think it will add year(s) to the project- even if money weren't the primary concern.

There's only so many hours in the day.

Building a plane really requires a stable environment on other fronts to make headway. Job infrequency or less than 'normal' work schedule makes it hard to plan. Staying in one location REALLY helps keeping the ball rolling. I've moved once and am looking at moving ATLEAST one more time in the next year (I build houses and stay in a spec house while working in ATL).

The real problem is building is SO MUCH FUN, all I want to do is spend time in the garage.

All things aside- the prudent measure would be NONE- use the time and cash on the project and struggle forward as diligently as possible. Now let's see what else life throws in the way....

GREAT COMMENTS- hope it helps others thinking about or in process of building one of the fantastic airplanes.

I say truck it

I do this trip often, while not exactly fun it's not a tough trip either. 16 is a breeze when the cruise is on 85.

Spend as much time on the RV as possible and get it done!

Hey, that sounds like some advice i should take as well.