JonJay

Well Known Member
Van was at the EAA105 chapter breakfast last Saturday as he commonly is. He flew the RV12 and I could not help but ask him why. "You have a choice of all of the high performance machines to fly, why did you bring the 12?"
"For the Fun of it! Each of our machines where designed for a purpose, and the 12 is all about fun. It is very fun to fly and you can still get somewhere remarkably fast and comfortable. It has the best visibility of all of the RV's......"
His eyes lit up as he started to talk to me about all of the interesting things HE discovered as they where building the 12, simple things like pitot tube location, which is straight out of the spinner, and why it had to be chamfered and why so many LSA's report impossible numbers due to wing tip mounted pitot error, and on and on,....
His enthusiasm for the 12 was really neat to see. For those that know him, Van can be quiet, but once you get him going, watch out. He was like a kid in a candy store.
A croud quickly grew, and all of the questions that everybody wants answers too, like when can I order, and how much is the kit, started flying... He got a bit quiet again, and I excused myself leaving the crowd behind.
I hope I can maintain the same enthusiasm when I reach that stage of my life as he has, and I hope I don't have to be accountable for too many hard questions as I just want to have FUN too....

You know, anybody whose eyes can still light up after all the years he's been running that company, is a guy you want to do business with.

I wish I could get MY eyes to light up when talking about My business. :(

RV-12 Development

So far everything written by those that have flown the RV-12 is very positive regarding both handling and excellent visibility. I think she'll be a great little cruiser/sightseer.

I was looking back - and realized it was early '05 when this project was announced in the Rvator. Sure seems like it has taken a long time. I suppose that like fine wines... good things shouldn't be rushed... But it would sure be nice to get some update and pictures of the new production model. If I go online (other than work stuff)... it is to at least check here and the VAN's website for updates. No joy...

Soon, I hope.

DJ

When I get desperate for news... I email Van's... and they are always great about responding with what they can share... Maybe I'm slowing them down??! :eek:

At Homecoming this year, I was talking with Van about his RV-10, when he asked if I'd like to go for a ride in the... RV-12? HECK YEA! He was getting ready to board the plane when he remembered he had to fly back home and pick up his wife to get her to the banquet. Van pawned me off to Gus who took me up....WOW!!!!!! I can tell you right now, hands down, I will be building an RV-12 when my RV-6A flying days come to an end. IT TRULY WAS VERY FUN TO FLY!!!! :D Rosie

Still waters run deep...

I too am lucky enough to live in the Van's Airforce Home Wing area and have met Van a couple of times. Once he even came to my home workshop to inspect a RV-4 project I was selling (long story). I also attended a week long builders workshop back in '93 when we had to walk past his desk every morning on our way to the shop (ask me sometime about the demo ride he gave me in the company RV-4).

Van *is* a quiet guy and sometimes this hides the fact that he is also a savy businessman. You don't build a business like his any other way. So, when he shows up at the local pancake breakfast, of course he's going to bring his newest creation - he would be crazy to do otherwise!

Having said this, I truly believe from all I've heard that the RV-12 will practically sell itself. It sounds like a sweet airplane and I am strongly considering dusting off my tools, cleaning out the garage and giving building another try.:)

I would think the more interesting questions would be;
Is the new wing flying?
Does the airplane meet LSA stall speed limits?