Bubblehead

Well Known Member
There have been a lot of great threads about oil coolers. In particular the great debate that DanH started was very eductional. While walking around Oshkosh last week I snapped a few pictures of some interesting applications. Nothing dramatic, just food for creative thought. Here are some of the better pictures.

I think the first one is from the Mooney with the Lyc 390 in it. Notice they have done the same thing with the baffle in the back as many RVers do. They fill in the jog for #4 cylinder so the cowl seal material has a straight run across the back of the engine.

610693806_GUR8v-M.jpg

610693722_D43xg-M.jpg

610693765_iXkGe-M.jpg

610693773_Myr4X-M.jpg

I wish I could remember what this was holding up, but I thought it pretty neat!
610693792_mf25K-M.jpg

610693755_6HXde-M.jpg

Yes, the last one is from an "Egg" but I thought some of the mounting details and the hood were very nice.

Quite a few of the coolers I saw were tilted back to allow a larger oil cooler. It may also serve the same purpose as the spacer some of us use to move the oil cooler back a little and let more air into the cooler. I thought the ramp over the push rod tube was interesting. My #4 is still the hottest cylinder so it won't be applicable yet to mine.

I see Mooney is using the SW8432.
Any idea where the outlet plenum is going? And, how is all of that supported?