That is a cool site. I always wondered how they send 10 different types of fuel in one pipeline. The obvious answer: one after another.

And just because a company makes $9,900,000,000 of profit over just 3 months doesn't mean their product is overpriced. :)

Davepar said:
And just because a company makes $9,900,000,000 of profit over just 3 months doesn't mean their product is overpriced. :)
Sorry for the off topic stuff, but they were talking about this on the radio this morning, using that number, it roughly breaks down this way...

PROFITS...
Each Day = $110,000,000
Each Hour = $4,583,333
Each Minute = $76,388
Each Second = $1,273

Amazing! And that is just one of many companies!

The last time i took BP's profit vs gallons produced of auto gas the profit was .007 per gallon ... not very much overall ... i don't see much back at the pump if they cut out the profit :(

But here is IL ... if we cut our taxes we could see gas under $1.90 a gallon ... who's really taking us for a ride

Interesting Link

My father-in-law ran a Shell refinery. He actually enjoyed pipeline operations more because of the intricacy and challenge moving product.

Soapbox time. Big Media is predictably falling all over themselves this week because of RECORD OIL PROFITS! Oh, dear. Right after Katrina they were falling all over themselves explaining fuel production shortfalls because we haven't built a new refinery in this country in over 30 years. Imbeciles. Even without stifling regulations, the profit incentive must be there for refineries to get built.

Whiners can do two things:
1. Don't buy any more petroleum products.
2. Buy oil stocks and share in the rewards as well as the risks.

Thank goodness for capitalism.

John Siebold

Big oil profits

Funny how no one seems to notice the years and years that big oil companies lose money between the boom times.

I've worked in "Big Oil" for my entire, 25 year career, including companies like Amoco and Standard Oil (now both part of British Petroleum) and Amerada-Hess. The only time I've worked for a PROFITABLE oil company was a brief period at Amoco in the early 80's when OPEC created an artifical shortage and the government attempted to ration the supply. Of course, we didn't get to keep it. The government immediately enacted a "windfall profits tax".

Oh, and there was also a couple of years prior to the Enron meltdown when California tried to rig their natural gas market to fix prices, and we made a bunch of money on the artificial shortage created by that classic piece of government idiocy. (Of course, after the meltdown, Calif. refused to pay their contracts, sued the companies that did nothing illegal for "illegal profits" and nearly put a bunch of NG suppliers out of business)

By the way, if you think this summer's gas prices were high, you must have not been alive in 1983, when the all-time gas price high was set. Adjusted for inflation, in 1983 we were waiting in line to pay $3.20/gallon.