airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I was recently contacted via a friend in Russia by a gentleman looking to sell his RV. Here's the deal - it was built in Russia (Ukraine, I believe?) by a build-for-hire guy, sold to a private owner in Russia, and now that private owner is looking for a buyer (unknown how long he has owned it). It's a standard-plans 7 with O-360, VFR panel and FP prop. What is the legality of importing and registering that aircraft in the US?

Importing

FAA 8130.2F Change 5 , Chapter 6-IMPORT PROCEDURES might be a good starting point. I'd sure meet with FSDO folks and agree in writing what procedures you should follow.

Change 6 is due out soon.

You can download a pdf at FAA.Gov

Been beat here before.
Search import experimental and you can see the previous discussions, including this one from russia.

To be eligible for import as experimental amateur-built in the US, the aircraft must meet all US regulations. This aircraft would seem to NOT meet the amateur-built criteria.
See FAA Order 8130.2F, Section 9, Paragraph 152.k

k. Special Considerations. In addition to the above certification requirements, if an applicant’s
aircraft is an unevaluated foreign amateur-built kit, the FAA must perform a major portion
determination using the Amateur-Built Aircraft Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2009).
If compliance to the major portion requirement of § 21.191(g) cannot be ascertained, a special
airworthiness certificate for the purpose of operating amateur-built aircraft must not be issued.

Last edited:
Actually....

FAA 8130.2F Change 5 , Chapter 6-IMPORT PROCEDURES might be a good starting point. I'd sure meet with FSDO folks and agree in writing what procedures you should follow.
Change 6 is due out soon.
You can download a pdf at FAA.Gov

It's not change 6. It is revision G. It is already out and becomes effective 4/16/2011.