AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
I was flying solo tonight - beautiful evening, little reddish tinge in the western sky, probably dust from some distant forest fire. Unusually green fields for the end of August were passing by below. The setting sun was at about my 11:00.

Anyway, I've been flying my plane for quite some time now, and have always been just slightly bugged by a little gap in the right rear canopy skirt of the slider. Not bugged enough to actually do anything about it yet... It is about 1/8" wide, by about 3 inches long, and is right at the level of the longeron, just behind the aft pin socket. It is a good place to throw cat hairs, woodticks or other bugs found in the cabin out. Just get them near it and let go, and they simply disappear. I have a nice silicone tear drop shaped weather strip along the forward 2/3's of the skirts, but never bothered to seal this particular area. I have on occasion, in really cold weather, rolled up a small towel and thrown into this crack. Tonight, just for curiosity, I rolled up a small towel, and when plugging the crack, noticed a pressure change in my ears. So, I went to alternate air (which is simply a disconnect under the panel), and watched the altimeter changes due to placing and removing this little towel. To my surprise, it equaled a bit more than 100'. I was not, however, able to discern any change in airspeed with and without the towel (with the static system restored). I thought for sure I would get the standard 10 knot increase. :D

It's amazing....

...how much suction there is around a canopy. Years ago, I gave a playboy model (she could have been) a ride in my Cessna 310. She leaned forward from the back seat to speak with her boss and then a scream "AAhhhhhh!":eek: Her long, brunette hair was streaming out of the airplane through the door seal! I slowed to near a stall and we grabbed her hair close to her head and slowly worked it back in.:)

Yep...ten knots..

Pierre, you dog! You start an airplane story about a Playboy model look-alike who leans forward from the back seat, with an audience of 9000+ male pilots.....and you tell us about her HAIR? ;)

Pierre, you dog! You start an airplane story about a Playboy model look-alike who leans forward from the back seat, with an audience of 9000+ male pilots.....and you tell us about her HAIR? ;)

That's just all he's telling - it wasn't actually her hair that got stuck in the door...