kingneptune117

I'm New Here
Hey all!

I am a undergraduate at the University of Iowa studying mechanical engineering. I have a huge passion for aviation and in the future would like to purchase a RV8 kit and build one myself. This would most likely be in the far future but I want to start getting informed. I had a few questions.

1. What kinds of tools are necessary if I were to buy a quick build kit? Is it mostly just a lot of riveting, or do I need any machinery (saws, drill presses, lathe, mill, etc...) in order to build a quick build kit.

2. In reference to the image in the link below, these things sticking out are clecos right? We sometimes use these in the machine shop I work at but i'm wondering what their application is here? Do you just set them all up so everything lines up right, and then one by one remove them and put a rivet in their place?

3. How good are the instructions that come with these quick build kits?

4. Is there any custom shop work that needs to be done, or does a quick build kit include everything needed to complete the airframe?

Thanks so much guys!

Welcome

Welcome Rob.
Those are some pretty good questions.
Most could be answered best by spending a few hours with a local builder.
Until then, here goes.
1. Take a look at this thread. QB will save a lot of time but it's no where near complete. It saves all the match drilling, deburring and dimpling of skins.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114322
2. Clekos, yes. No, not quite that simple. There are lots of web videos on the Eaa.org site that will explain the process in detail. Basically, insert clekos to check assembly. Pull a cleco and match drill the hole, reinstall. Disassemble. Debur holes. Dimple holes. Prime if desired. Reassemble with clekos. Pull a cleko. Insert a rivet. Set rivet. Repeat.
http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints
3. First pages are detailed. Last pages basically tell you to put parts together with the assumption you know what your doing by then.
4. Yes on fabrication. No on complete.

Last edited:
Advice?

Set up a separate bank account and start saving up money now; it'll make a big difference. I wish I'd done that as soon as I graduated, but I waited five years. I could have been hanging an engine by now if I'd started sooner instead of putting it off thinking I couldn't afford it at the time.

Hi kingneptune

I am just down the road from you in Bettendorf. Completed an RV8 last year and started another one. Would be happy to show both completed and in process along with the tools I used. Send me a PM with your number if interested.

Just run away Rob, just run away!

Just a friendly warning Rob,

This building an aircraft "thing" becomes a sickness and all consuming for some...

Here are some of the issues you will face:

• Thinking all the time about how you're going to sneak into the shop to work on it.
  • The countless hours surfing the net, reviewing other build sites and stealing their ideas and spending more money because of it.
  • Looking at the classifieds everyday to see what you can pick up for a deal
  • Looking at this site 5-10 times a day

and the list can go on and on!

So far it's been a great journey and learning experience...

Start that second account, start saving and take the opportunity to go see Charlie and watch an -8 being built!

At the beginning of my build log, I have a pretty good description of the tools you will need. Just click on the link below and go to the beginning.

Good luck!!

- Finish school.
- Get a job.
- Establish a debt free state.
- THEN start building immediately.
Don't worry about how you're going to pay for the whole thing, except while maintaining #3 above. You don't have to. All you have to do is spend a few hundred dollars on tools and an empennage kit. All of the value of the airframe will be nearly perfectly retained such that it almost doesn't matter if you ever finish it. If you do good work, somebody will almost always buy it off of you for nearly what you have in it.

As commented, it will change your life.

- Establish a debt free state.
HA!
Maybe just establish that you are debt free. ;)
Scott is correct, build your plane on "Cash & Carry". It's a kit, so buy some bits with money you saved, build away and save for the next bits.
Take time during building to meet up with other aviators.
My favorites are EAA326, my 'not so local' chapter. I selected them because they made a point to invite me, and are RV active. Not the closest to my home, but they are some of my closest friends. My other favorite is the Northwest Antique airplane club. These are the kind of people you share values with and want to hang out with. They build, restore and fly things.
They fly places together and have educational activities.
They have community outreach, like Young Eagles.
It adds another layer of quality to RV building.

PS; Our EAA chapter has a tool custodian. If you join a chapter or have building friends, you can borrow some tools and save money getting started, also we have members with areas of expertise that help, like 'rivet buddies' or electrical assistance. That's a big help getting started.