joe1968

Well Known Member
Hi I'm Joe,

I'm interested in building a RV-7 originally was gona go the sonex route but after seeing my friends RV-7 its much more of a airplane and from in can see a better value. Would enjoy some feedback from you guys on how I should proceed

Thanks Joe

RV7

Welcome Joe. Good choice.
I'm not sure what your asking but here's an attempt at an answer.
Find local builders and get some hands on. Take notes. What special tools does he have over a standard kit. What pressures does he use. Etc.
Ask local builders for a $50,000 ride and if you have a significant other, bring them along for a ride or sit in the plane of choice.
Buy the pre-build plans and read to see what is involved.
If you feel it's for you, buy a basic tool kit.
Buy the Vans tool box kit and ask if your friend/builder will help you build it.
Buy the Vans practice kit and build it.
If you feel good about it, buy the empennage and your life will be forever changed.
You'll be part of the best community ever.

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately, it's difficult to compare the two planes because they are really very different.

Assuming 'apples to apples' comparisons (as much as possible) the Sonex should ultimately be a lot cheaper to build, primarily because of the engine cost. It will also be a lot cheaper to operate in terms of direct operating costs. It *should* build a lot faster, due to pulled-rivet construction. It might well be cheaper to hangar, it carries less payload, it's slower, it's unlikely you can do acro in it safely if you have a passenger larger than a small child, etc. It *can* qualify for light sport operation, if that is or will be a factor for you.

Bottom line: the -7 is a lot more airplane, for a lot more money.

Charlie

Start by reading every builder's web log you can find. That will help set your expectations for what it is like to build an RV. For the RV-7 there are quite a few out there -- just use the Search feature on VAF and you will find many others that have asked and been answered here for similar questions.

After absorbing what life is like during the build process, and if you are still raring to go, sign up for an EAA SportAir RV workshop to get some hands on time with the practice kit and the various tools you will need. After that, buy some tools, and start building the tail.

The build process can be long and tedious, or it can be the most rewarding challenge and education you can ever imagine. The VAF community here will help make it the latter, so don't be afraid to jump in and participate!

Hi I'm Joe,

I'm interested in building a RV-7 originally was gona go the sonex route but after seeing my friends RV-7 its much more of a airplane and from in can see a better value. Would enjoy some feedback from you guys on how I should proceed

Thanks Joe

Hi Joe,
You might want to write down what you want the plane to do and what you want to do with the plane. X-country ? Low and slow? Acro? IFR?

The RV's are a wonderful choice, there are many planes with various capabilities. They all go fast (some faster than others) and are efficient.

Welcome to the world of making YOUR airplane, now come the decisions . .

have fun!

Also, if acro isn't on the list of priorities, you might want to consider the very similar but more efficient RV-9.

Dave

Sonex vs RV7

Hi I'm Joe,

Thanks Joe

Hi Joe, welcome to VAF. I went through the exact same decision process as you. I originally started with a sonex, seriously considered a Sling 2 and then bit the bullet and bought an RV7 (kit). Admittedly, my ultimate mission is now quite specific but take that out of the equation - the Sonex is simply too small. Don't get me wrong it's GREAT to fly around the patch (cheap to maintain and running costs are less) but anything over 90 mins with 2 full grown adults is - well - just uncomfortable and the aerovee with 2 pax is underpowered (great if only yourself). In saying all of that, with a 120HP jab and some glass your up to approx. $50K. Compare that to an RV7 - with basic VFR instrument and a low to mid timed FP engine for $65 -69K.

If you have any specific questions feel free to drop me a line. Cheers!

Last edited: