RV7ator

Well Known Member
I'm seeking confirmation or correction. The GTX manual shows a bi-directional 232 connection to a GSU73, and an incoming 232 from a 650's 232 output. The notes say the output is the ADS-B GPS data. Is the bi-directional 232 the "control" connection for pilot manipulation of the GTX through the 370? A GDL39 is part of "paneling up" if that makes any difference. It's output connects to one of the 650's inputs, yes?

I ask because I get wrapped around the axle over the communications, generally because I don't kin which signals carry what information and have priority over other similar connections. E.g., ARINC trumps 232, but does the equipment know,or can it be made to know, that? 1,000 pages of manuals get a bit overwhelming.

John Siebold

Your post reaffirms that I made the right decision to have Stein draw up my wiring diagram for my Garmin avionics package when I purchased it from him. Even someone with no previous wiring experience like myself can follow the diagram and get it done without too much confusion.

But when I'm done, I'll know why and how it works. Helps with the next project, and trouble-shooting when it goes wrong.

John Siebold

Looks like you're right on track.. per the manual:

? RS-232 input #1 connection for altitude and unit control data
? RS-232 output #1 connection for TIS and unit status
? RS-232 input #2 connection for GPS data for ADS-B

RS-232 input #1 is used to receive pressure altitude control commands. RS-232 output #1 provides unit
status and TIS data. RS-232 #1 input and output are also used for software upgrades.
For installations that enable ADS-B, RS-232 input #2 should be connected to a GNS 400W/500W-series
WAAS enabled unit or a GTN 6XX/7XX series unit. This connection provides the GTX 23 with GPS data
for ADS-B. The RS-232 output #2 is unused on the GTX 23.

A GDL39 is part of "paneling up" if that makes any difference. It's output connects to one of the 650's inputs, yes?

No...the GDL39 will get connected to your G3X's MFD screen....I connected mine to the MFD's serial port1. The GDL-39 will not talk to the 650.

Last edited:
I'm seeking confirmation or correction. The GTX manual shows a bi-directional 232 connection to a GSU73, and an incoming 232 from a 650's 232 output. The notes say the output is the ADS-B GPS data. Is the bi-directional 232 the "control" connection for pilot manipulation of the GTX through the 370? A GDL39 is part of "paneling up" if that makes any difference. It's output connects to one of the 650's inputs, yes?

I ask because I get wrapped around the axle over the communications, generally because I don't kin which signals carry what information and have priority over other similar connections. E.g., ARINC trumps 232, but does the equipment know,or can it be made to know, that? 1,000 pages of manuals get a bit overwhelming.

John Siebold

Hello John,

Radomir and Brantel typed faster than I and helped you out, but I thought I would go ahead and post this anyway.

We try very hard to always show every wire needed between the G3X components and any other Garmin product to which G3X can be connected in the G3X Installation manual. Customers often think that that they need to refer to the transponder or other installation manual, but that is seldom the case.

To answer your first question, yes, the single bi-directional RS-232 connection shown on page D-3 of the Rev. G G3X Installation manual between GSU73 port 3 and GTX23ES port 1 is the only connection needed to have a fully functional transponder. Customers that have a VFR G3X aircraft without a GNS or GTN can even have a fully functional (but non 2020 compliant) 1090ES ADS-B Out solution that wakes up the ground stations and provides traffic and weather to their GDL39 with this single RS-232 interface to the GTX23ES.

You don't need either of those A429 transmitters on the transponder connected to the GSU73. These are only used if you want to send TIS-A traffic data to a GNS or GTN unit. The GSU73 provides pressure and GPS data, control data, and even receives TIS-A data over that single do-it-all RS-232 link.

Since you have a GTN, you will provide the 2020 compliant position data from any unused RS-232 output on the GTN (configured to ADS-B Out) to RS-232 Port 2 on the GTX23ES. As Radomir indicates, this is a single one-way connection between the GTN and the GTX23ES.

With regard to the GDL39, please follow the drawing on page D-12 to add a single bi-directional RS-232 connection from the GDL39 to either Port 1 or Port 2 (both options shown) on the GDU 37X MFD. Traffic received by the MFD will be shared with the PFD(s) enabling ADS-B traffic to be shown both on the MFD map and traffic page on on the PFD(s) in the synthetic vision presentation.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks, guys. Doing breast strokes this afternoon through the info got me a bit waterlogged. You have clarified matters. Aside, Steve, there's a splendid difference between Garilla of a few years ago and the builder support and manual clarity now. The G3X "book" is quite thorough and everyone benefits. And Brian, I totally blanked out on the 11th commandment following the Decalogue: Thou shalt not connect non-cert to certified gear. The answer was indeed in the book.

John Siebold

Great Tip

We try very hard to always show every wire needed between the G3X components and any other Garmin product to which G3X can be connected in the G3X Installation manual. Customers often think that that they need to refer to the transponder or other installation manual, but that is seldom the case.

Knowing this has helped immensely as I begin to layout the basic architecture of my instruments and avionics. It is also extremely user friendly. Thanks!!

I enjoy building connections to the various devices. It doesn't seem that difficult and I've found all the info I need by either posting here or emailing the Garmin guys.

I was just looking to see how I configure an RS232 out from my G3X Touch to provide ADS-B out position data to the GTX 23ES and found that there's no need. The single RS232 connection I've already made to the GSU 25 should do it.

So my GTX 23ES 62 pin connector only has 8 pins used:
2 X 12v positive power pins (only using aircraft power 1)
2 X Ground Pins
3 X Serial pins
1 X Ident Select
And a shield to backshell connection

Almost seems too easy. :)