tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
What are you guys using for intercom setups? I am planning that part of my project now, and looking into the options.

My goal is to have a basic intercom that will allow me to communicate with the passenger, hear radio traffic, hear the alarms for my AOA (bitching betty who yells "push, push, angle" and my engine alarms (engine monitor not yet determined), and of course, hear stereo music that will mute when radio traffic or communication with the passenger occurs. Another consideration is a cell phone input.

I would like to accomplish this without the additional cost of an audio panel.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tony Johnson
RV8A Orlando

Garmin 340

All those features are in the Garmin 340 audio panel. It even includes an option where you can program it NOT to mute the stereo music input when you or the passenger want to talk with each other. It always mutes the music when there is radio traffic. You can also isolate the passenger from the radio so that they can hear the music uninterrupted while you deal with the radio calls. Of course, when that mode is selected you don't hear the music or the passenger.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ

I have the PS engineering PM3000 that does all that you ask. Only detail is it only has input for 1 radio.

Do I need an audio panel?

Thanks for the input guys.

The ps3000 seems to be a unit that many RV guys use. As you pointed out, it connects to only one radio. I have heard that there is a requirement for a second comm radio for IFR flight? In that case, the PS3000 might not serve my needs fully. I am also concerned about the input from aux sources, such as the enginge monitor warning and AOA warning audio.

Does the PS3000 accept the warning tones and messages?

If I add a second comm radio, how do I avoid having to use an audio panel?

Tony

I have a PS PMA4000 in my 6A. It can handle 2 com and 2 nav radios, as well as music imput, although it is just mono. Nice small unit too.

Regards,

The GMA 340 is full stereo

And it has all the inputs you will ever need. Two music channels, although the second one is intended to drive up to four sets of passenger headphones. Think six-seats, Beech Bonanza, etc. But really, it has all the goodies for inputs, three comm radios, ADF, DME, cell phone, audio alerts, etc. Get the details at this URL from the Garmin web site:

http://www.garmin.com/products/gma340/

That page has a link to the specs on this page:

http://www.garmin.com/products/gma340/spec.html

It will do what you need and more. It even has a built-in 75 MHz marker beacon receiver for ILS approaches. I have one installed with the airplane still in the garage, but not for too much longer.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ

Sigtonics Sport 200S

That was my choice and so far, in the garage, I'm happy. This is a stereo intercom (the PM1000II is not) with all the features of the PM1000II, except dual controls (my headsets have there own volume controls)and the price is right at $250. The only item I'm not sure about is the ability to connect to an audible warning. You can call Sigtronics and ask them. I have the Grand Rapids EFIS and EIS and if any set parameter is broken a master warning light flashes and the monitor flashes a message until acknowledged. In the future an audible warning will be available, but I have no plans on upgrading. You would have to be blind not to notice the current system of warning. I purchased a CD/MP3 player for $49. and hooked it into the audio jack the other night and was quite pleased with the operation. :)
If you are going to add a second com, nav/com then I would bite the bullet and spend $1000. + and install an audio panel.

Last edited: