GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
I encountered a strange problem yesterday....

A little history...

I have a Flightcom intercom and have been told my my passengers that they have trouble hearing me, the tower, or the EFIS voice prompts. I just assumed it was the cheep headsets I had as my passenger set. I use Lightspeed Zulu's as my set and everything sounds great. I recently purchased a set of used Bose X headsets to use as my passenger set. I flew yesterday and still had the same problem. Passenger could not hear anything. We swapped headsets and the Zulu's worked great on the passenger side and the Bose worked fine on the Pilot side (Noise canceling not as good, but it work well).

My question is... it seems like I might have have an intercom problem, but why do the Zulu's work fine on that side, but nothing else will???

Additional information: I have in the past used my cheep set on the pilot side, allowing the passenger to use the ZULU's , again that worked fine... seems like more evidence that the Intercom has a problem on that side, but why do the Zulu's work on it????

Is it possible...

That one set is mono and the other is stereo, and there is some kind of connection issue at the socket?

Check the dip switch settings inside the battery box....set it to whatever type intercom you have. Mono or stereo...

You didn't mention what flightcom intercom you had and whether it is stereo or not. I have a stereo flightcom model 403 stereo and the installation includes toggle switches for each jack to select stereo or mono headsets. I would verify both your headsets are set to the proper stereo or mono mode depending on your intercom, also make sure the toggle switches (if present) are set properly for each jack. Finally I would check the wiring to the copilot jacks, could be you have lost one of the stereo channels.

The intercom is the NON stereo version, but that still does not explain why the Bose only works on one side, but the Lightspeed works on both??????
Does it?

They may have different ways of dealing with this.

I know I can use my Zulu on my mono handheld and it works fine even though I have the DIP switch set to stereo. Not sure if the Bose would do this or not....

They may have different ways of dealing with this.

I know I can use my Zulu on my mono handheld and it works fine even though I have the DIP switch set to stereo. Not sure if the Bose would do this or not....

Try pulling out the phone connector slightly (one click) and see if that helps. If the headset is configured as mono and the jack is stereo, this may work.

Vern