DRE and iPod

I used the DRE interom (244e) in my Aeronca for years with an iPod. It was just perfect! The trouble is, DRE is currently out of business but appears to be coming back soon. See another post on this by me. The former owner is still selling his new old stock of DRE intercoms for just about $500. Yea, a bit pricy but I can tell you, you'll love the DRE. It has so many great features and it sounds great.

I managed to pick up a used DRE on Ebay for really cheap. I'm hoping to have it all wired up today.

As far as the iPod, I put a mount in my plane just above the fuel valve. They have you cut off a portion of the fuel valve mounting plate if you don't have manual trim. The trim knob is supposed to be mounted there. Instead, I didn't cut the plate and mounted my iPod mount there.

Tip-up vs. Slider, Nosewheel vs. Tailwheel, etc.

Almost everyone will have an opinion on this one and it is hard to answer.

I suspect the headsets have as much to do with what sounds good as anything. Kind of like putting cheap speakers on a good stereo.

I installed a Sigtronics 200S in my -9 and put the 1/8" stereo jack way over on the right side. The iPod sounds ok through my cheap headsets and I've always wondered how it might sound through a set of Bose headsets.

Avoid the Flightcom intercoms as they have bad fidelity (basically communications bandpass). I am now running a pm-3000 with GREAT sound using Lightspeed and Bose headphones. Used PM-2000s are cheap with great sound as well.

The fidelity was the primary reason for the change with no regrets.

Bob

Hello All
Now that its almost done whats the best intercom and tunes to put in?
Thanks

Not too sure of the best intercom, but as to the tunes--------- that I can answer.

Jimmy Buffett:D

IIRC, the Garmin sl 40 has a built in intercom, might be all you need, save a few $$$?

I am now running a pm-3000 with GREAT sound using Lightspeed and Bose headphones. ................

The fidelity was the primary reason for the change with no regrets.

Bob

Bob, I have the same intercom but am not happy. Is yours absolutely quiet when there is no input?

My problem? P1 and P2 headsets both have some background white noise. It does not get in the way of communication, but it is loud enough to be irritating. If I move the headset to the diagnostic jacks between the radio and itercom, when no one transmits, its crystal clear silence.

It is independent of squelch and volume, and there when the only item powered is the intercom and master relay.

The fact that it is independent of squelch and volume points to it being on the output side of the intercom, not the input side or input wiring? It seems unlikely to be in the headset side of the harness because a ground / dry joint would not produce enough voltage to make an audible noise (I think). I am no expert at this, just looking at it logically and hoping for ideas to check further.

PS Engineering are leaning towards the problem being the intercom, but I would rather do all possible checks before sending it to the USA.

Bob, I have the same intercom but am not happy. Is yours absolutely quiet when there is no input?

My problem? P1 and P2 headsets both have some background white noise. It does not get in the way of communication, but it is loud enough to be irritating. If I move the headset to the diagnostic jacks between the radio and itercom, when no one transmits, its crystal clear silence.

It is independent of squelch and volume, and there when the only item powered is the intercom and master relay.

The fact that it is independent of squelch and volume points to it being on the output side of the intercom, not the input side or input wiring? It seems unlikely to be in the headset side of the harness because a ground / dry joint would not produce enough voltage to make an audible noise (I think). I am no expert at this, just looking at it logically and hoping for ideas to check further.

PS Engineering are leaning towards the problem being the intercom, but I would rather do all possible checks before sending it to the USA.

Steve,

No problems like you describe. Still happy with the unit.

Bob