RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am just starting my RV-8A QB fuselage. One of the first steps is to install the main gear legs insert a undersized bolt to line up the parts (leg and mount) and then ream the mounting hole to .311. Well the legs are not close to going into the gear mounts. I know the powder coating can cause some interference, I have lightly sanded with some 800 grit paper the edges but still no luck.

Anyone have any tips on how to clean up the gear mount holes for a nice tight fit. On my QB the weld mounts are already installed so I can't take them to a bench. I do plan to use some NAS closer tolerance bolts since I have read where some have had gear loosen up in the first few hundred hours. Thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers

You could use a brake cylinder hone with an electric drill and lots of honing oil or kerosene to hone the sockets, but before you do you should try to get an accurate measurement of both pieces to determine what the clearances are. (inside and outside micrometers) My first choice before removing any metal would be to heat the sockets with a heat gun while freezing the legs in the freezer, or dry ice before trying to mate them.

Need to Drill and remove

You could use a brake cylinder hone with an electric drill and lots of honing oil or kerosene to hone the sockets, but before you do you should try to get an accurate measurement of both pieces to determine what the clearances are. (inside and outside micrometers) My first choice before removing any metal would be to heat the sockets with a heat gun while freezing the legs in the freezer, or dry ice before trying to mate them.

These are good ideas. I need a good fit but it can't be a one time thing. If things are too tight I will not be able to remove the legs. The plans have me drill this hole to size but then remove the legs and put in storage while the rest of the fuselage is completed. I guess they figure there will not be as much room to drill the holes after the pedals, fuel pumps etc are installed. So I will need a snug fit but one that would allow removal with some coaxing.

Please continue with ideas.

Cheers

Same Problem

Mike;
I had exactly the same problem on my 8-A and found it was the weldment entry point. I took a brake cylinder hone and lite machine oil and did the entry to the weldment to clean up the powdrecoating at the entry. Then I passed the hone thru a couple of times , put a little air tool oil on the gear and they went perfect. They fit TIGHT and are a bugger to remove but it just needed a little clean up. TIP; Go buy a dowl just under the size of the gear leg and use that and a rubber mallot to tap out the gear.

Tom
RV8-a (firewall forward)
N60TD (Reserved)