hughfi

Well Known Member
Hi there,

I have a flying RV6 with an 0-320 E3D engine with about 300hrs on it. I have just noticed a small fuel leak out of the number 4 intake where it meets the oil sump. This is the old type of sump where I believe you need a certain tool that you put inside the intake to stretch out the intake tube to seal it. Talking to a number of A&P's some folks told me to put some of that liquid metal stuff where it enters the sump, but that stuff cracks with heat and vibration so I am sure it won't last long with the vibration that its sure to get.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and how have they fixed it? FYI. I believe the newer engines have a gasket of some kind which is easy to replace, but this does not. The plane is grounded without this being fixed as the exhaust is conveniently just below this leak so not a safe way to fly around.

Is there something like fuel tank sealant that one could put around this that would stretch somewhat and resist fuel well?

Thx.

Hugh.

New Sump

Mine is a Superior. When I reported the fuel stains they sent me a new sump and offered to pay for installation (I did it myself). The tube is expanded inside the hole in the casting and it's not field repairable, they said. YMMD. If I were going to try to seal it I'd use something that would remain flexible, resist fuel and tolerate heat-cool cycles and vibration.

Yea it needs to be re swedged If you are talking about what I think you are talking about. Any of those band aid fixes are temporary at best. Pull the thing off and find a shop with the tool or send it off.

oil sump tube leak

Call lycoming they have a tool you can rent / borrow to fix this, the deposit is kinda high but it will fix it.. and you won't have to worry about it anymore..
be sure to check the others while you have the tool though..

Danny..

Thanks for all the advice!!!

This site is just fantastic and its because so many people are willing to lend their time and experience to help.

Thx.

H.