pierre smith

Well Known Member
....is way more difficult than I thought.

My -6A had a deposit on it from a gentleman in N.C. and when we decided to get together and deliver it, he was turned away by all insurers that my Buddy, Ray, tried to to get coverage with.

The buyer has around 80 hours and owns a Skylane, so our deal fell through and the airplane is going south instead. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this situation before.

Regards,

Just curious, was the difficulty in getting hull insurance or liability insurance (or both)? (I'm a student and wanna-be RV owner or builder, hence the curiosity).

Being new to the RV crowd, I'd be curious to hear details of the what and why as well. Was it mainly because of his student status? Low total time?

Or was it something to do with that combination in an RV?

Not to instigate thread creep, but I'd also be curious what kind of insurance requirements are generally needed to fly in the tailwheel RV's for a private pilot with a taildragger endorsement, a fair bit of TT (950), but not much TW time (10)...(ie---ME!).

Of course, I'm just talking generalities here...before I take the plunge...

Thanks!
Ryan in Madison, WI

Tim Olson has shared on the Matronics list that is was less expensive to lease a Cherokee than the premium to get his wife covered on his RV-10 while taking lessons.

Also a low time pilot building an RV7. I know I will take it in the shorts until I build hrs and I'm ok with that to build what I want. As a general reference, price breaks appear to occur at 150 TT, 15 TW, 10 transition training dual...and then again at 200 TT, 25 TW, 5 Dual. I plan to have the latter in place by the time it flies.

Insurance

Pierre,
Tried to add my son after he got his private ticket and it would have been an additional $2500. He's building time to 150 hrs and then it will be just an add on.

Just curious, was the difficulty in getting hull insurance or liability insurance (or both)? (I'm a student and wanna-be RV owner or builder, hence the curiosity).

Hull and liability is one in the same - one one policy. You can either get both or neither.

Pierre, Curious if he was using a "service center" broker like AOPA or Falcon, or if he approached the underwriter with a PLAN. Often the call center brokers take the easy way and go to AIG's online quoting system. If that get's declined, they never call you back and move on to one of the 200 calls they've received since yours.

Pierre,
Tried to add my son after he got his private ticket and it would have been an additional $2500. He's building time to 150 hrs and then it will be just an add on.

Who in the world was this placed with? AVEMCO? $2,500! That just doesn't jive with what we've seen. I think you may have been given bad info.

Pierre,
When I bought my PulsarXP several years ago I had a total of 105 hours, spread across 4 years. Falcon had no problems picking me up as long as I got 5 hours "transition training" from someone familiar with the Pulsar. My RV is more expensive to insure, but I got the same requirements from Avemco (5 hours of "familiarization" time). I'd agree with the previous posters - something doesn't seem right. Maybe the guy trying to get insured had a previous claim or something?

Hmmm, I pay about $2300/yr for $65k hull and various liability etc. AIG from NationAir. RV-6A.

I had about 60 hours in the logbook (1990'ish in 152's, etc) plus a fresh BFR and 5 hours transition training (stipulated by ins). Maybe still being a student is the issue.

BTW, you can get a payment plan if you ask. Third party, but eases the sting a bit.

My insurance quote is below (Pierre's plane) (from AUA insurance).
Like Pierre, I lost a buyer on my last plane (Velocity) due to insurance. High time aerobatic pilot with lots of odd aircraft experience. His issue wasn't cost or availability but the fact that they wanted 20 hrs of dual instruction.

Liability only is coming in at $243. Liability and ground not in motion hull is $571 Liability and full flight hull would be $1,198. $60,000 value

No transition time needed. I had less than an hour in RV6A but maybe 10 hrs in RV9As and also some Mustang II time (plus a lot of total time and ratings).