Don Jones

Well Known Member
I am looking to change insurance companies on my spam can. I got a much cheaper quote from Avemco than my current company(AIG). In general those of you using Avemco, are you happy with them?? Do they
do experimentals? If they do I would like to continue with them after the RV is done. Any other suggestions?

In my experience Avemco was fine on "spam cans" but 20% higher than the competition on an Experimental. Your mileage may vary, but I found the best deal (price and added coverage) through the EAA plan with Falcon insurance.

http://www.eaa.org/insurance/

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Since the goal will ultimately be to insure at RV, contact Jenny Estes at Nationair ([email protected] / 877 475-5860) and establish a relationship now. She insures many RV's and just gave us a tremendous price on a possible RV trainer plane (a Cessna for those local builders who need training)

Last edited:
My quote from Avemco was about twice that of my previous with Falcon.
I figured they didn't want experimental business.
At the time, I had about 250 RV time, 120 previous year.

NationAir

I am looking to change insurance companies on my spam can. I got a much cheaper quote from Avemco than my current company(AIG). In general those of you using Avemco, are you happy with them?? Do they
do experimentals? If they do I would like to continue with them after the RV is done. Any other suggestions?

NationAir dropped my premium over 50% from Avemco on my Cessna 210. They also insured my RV7A and will be insuring it going forward at a pretty good rate.

YMMV

Interesting info

NationAir dropped my premium over 50% from Avemco on my Cessna 210. They also insured my RV7A and will be insuring it going forward at a pretty good rate.

YMMV

That's interesting. Avemco is $200 cheaper than AIG with identical coverages. I am definately going to give NationAir a call.

Oh and by the way, Avemco is still quoting the EAA discount:)

I insure my C-152 through AIG. They insure the plane for 30% less than the quote I got from Avemco. Aviation Consumer Magazine gave AIG a favorable review a couple issues ago even after the insurance bailout. Of course, I will have to wait a while longer until I need to insure the RV-10 and I may find that the tables turn on Experimental's.

Read the policy carefully.

That's interesting. Avemco is $200 cheaper than AIG with identical coverages. I am definately going to give NationAir a call.
I switched from Avemco to AIG. One big "gotcha" Avemco has is that they only cover family members at 25%. If you have a family member who flies with you very much, that's a big factor.

Correction

Mel:

That is not correct. We eliminated the family limitation several years ago, although some agents are still telling people that it is in our policy.

I would encourage all pilots to check with us before taking a competitor's word about what is or is not in our policy. As we are the only direct insurer of general aviation aircraft, if an agent can keep you from contacting us, he or she has kept you from getting the only option to the agency system.

Jim Lauerman
President
Avemco Insurance Company
A subsidiary of HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc.

Nothing like good info!

Straight from the company! Nice to have people like this hanging around on this website. It really supports the good information available here.
Thanks

I apologize!

Mel:

That is not correct. We eliminated the family limitation several years ago, although some agents are still telling people that it is in our policy.
Jim, I apologize. I didn't realize you had rectified that situation. I know several years ago, I argued the point extensively with you guys and at that time you refused to budge. (It WAS in my policy.) That was when I changed companies.