Steve Barnes

Well Known Member
I am soon to test fly an RV9 for a builder, and he's decided to put just liability insurance on it. He's listed me, with about 2000hrs RV and rocket time, and himself with 175 TT (not recent). They said he needed a two hour RV9 check out and he would be covered too. They quoted him $2000. I pay the same company $675 for a Rocket (same coverage). Is this consistent with other builders experience? Advice welcome.

Steve Barnes The Builders Coach

My 6A was $1852 for hull & liability (first year), or $600 for liability only. I now have liability only. A 9A owner I know, has roughly the same prices that I quoted. He has two other pilots listed on his policy. He's also on mine, but won't be flying my plane anymore because of liability only.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

A little steep

I pay $1700 with 75k hull on a 9A. W/o hull it was $1k. The 9 is hangared.

They wanted 5 hours of flight on the airplane before they would insure at all.

For liability only, I was paying ~$650 from Falcon for my first 2 years.
Last year, I purchased thru my local broker who carries my homeowners.
They secured it from AIG for $350. I suspect they may have waived a portion of their commision.

At the time, I only had about 12 hours RV including 5 hours transition training.

Similar data point

My 9A has $75k on hull plus liability, obtained in December just before my first flight. I had ~5 hours transition training in a 6A and 9A. Cost for insurance was $1800/year.

greg

I am soon to test fly an RV9 for a builder, and he's decided to put just liability insurance on it. He's listed me, with about 2000hrs RV and rocket time, and himself with 175 TT (not recent). They said he needed a two hour RV9 check out and he would be covered too. They quoted him $2000. I pay the same company $675 for a Rocket (same coverage). Is this consistent with other builders experience? Advice welcome.

Steve Barnes The Builders Coach

The higher cost is due to the builders lack of recent experience. It will come down next year of he flies.