Redwagon

Well I've got 60+ hours or so on my RV8, its looking nice now with paint & interior, the wife likes it and we are starting to fly places. Thats all goodness but I'm still "Self Insured".......and the county that rents me my $hangar$ wants a copy of my policy.

I've searched the forum here and surprisingly not much discussion on the best insurance deals. I have my Skywagon set up through AIG on a C-180/185 club deal and its way cheaper than the RV8 quotes I'm getting, even through EAA.

Comments/recommendations on how to save $$ on insurance? With 30+ years of flying, CFII etc, 1500 hours taildragger, it doesnt make sense to pay $1700/year on a $80-85K airplane.....I must be missing something. Hopefully its not higher rates because of higher accident rates and repair difficulties.

Tim

That number sounds about right.. doubt you'll find much cheaper. Still a small price to pay to get away from Cessnas et al. :)

I'm now $600 a year for liability only, which should cover the hangar needs. Was $1840 for the first year. Falcon Ins., listed under the EAA.

I've heard that you can't get liability only the first year............but that could just be hear say, as I never have actually asked.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

hi/insurance

I'm certain we're all interested in this issue. We're paying a huge amount, and
would like to bring it down.
Regards,
Barbara

NationAir

I used to use Avemco. They would not insure my RV, so I went with NationAir.
NationAir cut my premium IN HALF on my 210, and they are just about the nicest people I have ever dealt with to boot.

I pay a little more than the average bear for full coverage on my RV7, due to my "incident" in 2007, but it's not bad even so.

YMMV

There's nothing wrong with going liability only if you are comfortable with "self insuring" for your own loss. I have gone that ways for years - a little less than $400/year (used SkySmith).

Paul

I have liability only & had insured with Falcon for my first 2 years for $650/year.

My local agent, whom I also buy my homeowners insurance, sold me the same policy for $355/year. I just renewed it again on 4/1. The policy is with AIG & no AOPA discount. They had never written an aviation policy so I thought they may have made a mistake.
I suspect my agent waives or reduces their fee. I renewed at the same rate this year.

Try contacting your local agent.