Don

Well Known Member
I've been enjoying substantially lower insurance rates for my Cherokee over the past few years. I'm not sure exactly why but I'm not complaining.

I'm now looking at RV's with the intention of buying one to replace the Cherokee while I finish building my dream 9A. First, the base rate for the insurance was a bit more than double to insure an RV (1,315 for the RV). Granted the hull insurance is higher but not double. I asked about getting insurance on a tailwheel aircraft (one of the leading contenders is a tailwheel) and I was surprised to find my rate would go up $425/yr compared to a similar tricycle RV. That wasn't all. I figured I'd need to get my TW endorsement (which I've been wanting to do anyway) but I found out that wasn't enough. I'd need 15 hours of dual with a CFI and then I'd need 10 hours of solo before taking a passenger. None of these are deal breakers but they seemed a bit excessive.

FWIW, I asked how long the TW insurance would stay so high and she said 150-300 hours. That was a lot longer than I expected.

I was curious if others are experiencing similar rates. If not, who's your insurance with (so I can get a quote)?

I paid $1880 year 1 on 72K hull value for an RV-6. I had no T/W time and US Specialty required 10 hours dual before solo. There wasn't a separate requirement for passenger carriage, although my personal minimums for putting anyone in the plane with me were significantly higher than 10 hours. I think it was 4 months and 20 hours after my endorsement before my wife got a ride in the plane.

Insurance was $300 less this year through Britt Paulk. At the time of the renewal I had about 60 hrs in the RV6. 540 total with commercial and instrument. And...a prior claim.

You didn't say what hull value you're talking about, but I'd trade for your rates.

Boy you guys are making me feel good. My RV-6 (yes tailwheel) insured through NationAIR has $1,000,000 coverage was $252. Coverage is from July 2012 through July 2013.

I have over 2,000 hours tailwheel and type plus Commercial License with Instrument Rating. I am sure that all that helps keep the rate low.

Yes my car insurance is almost 3X more for 1/10th the coverage.

Boy you guys are making me feel good. My RV-6 (yes tailwheel) insured through NationAIR has $1,000,000 coverage was $252.

I know you know you are talking apples and oranges, so I'm not sure your post does anything to answer the OP's topic. The $1M liability portion of my policy is $355 with a whopping 55 hours of RV6 time.

Are you really paying $750 for 100K on auto liability? I pay about $600/yr for three cars.

100K hull, 1Mil liability, zero time tri-gear started at $2200. After 300 hours and two years, it has fallen $600. I now way $1600 per year. I doubt it will go much lower due to the hull.

Do you guys really have $1M liability? Or is it restricted to $100K per passenger?

As to the tailwheel surcharge, of course it is more. The saying, about ground loops, that there are those who have, and those who will, is of course an exageration. But there is also some truth in it.

You did not say your total time. Total time, time in type, and to some extent an instrument rating, are big deals for insurance companies.

Do you guys really have $1M liability? Or is it restricted to $100K per passenger?

Yeah! If it was a true $1M I'd be all over that action. Mine is only $100K per passenger - through NationAir (though technically $1M per occurrence, the passenger limit is what seems to really matter).

If I had a passenger seriously hurt, then $100K could go pretty fast...