Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Well, I tried asking this in a prior post that dealt with "Builders" insurance, and got very little response, so I thought I would start a new thread specific to my question.

I just purchased a -10 that is mostly finished-----90%----that I need to trailer home from Arizona to central CA, apx 800 miles.

I would like to get insurance to cover the "not-yet-a-plane" while in transit.

Any of you out there who have had similar experiences, where did you find coverage for this??

Thanks in advance,
Mike Starkey

RV Insurance

Try Falcon Insurance located in Kerrville, TX. They write policies for EAA members and I believe they cover all phases of experimental construction and finished aircraft.
Their main number is 830-257-1000.

Good luck! :)

mrreddick said:
Try Falcon Insurance located in Kerrville, TX. They write policies for EAA members and I believe they cover all phases of experimental construction and finished aircraft.
Their main number is 830-257-1000.

Good luck! :)
Ask for Ladd Gardner. Mumble the 'Gardner' part a bit in case it's 'Garner' or the like.

I ran into this same situation on my 8QB. I had hooked up with another builder who was picking up his 9QB and passing nearby on his way home. The arrangement was perfect except that I was exposed during transit as he had no insurance coverage for the trailer contents.

As Mike says above, contact Falcon...they found me some builders coverage that included transportation. I think it was about $700 for coverage up to final kit value of 90K.

I really didn't want to pay that much just for the transportation coverage that I thought I needed. After a little consideration, the bill wasn't that bad considering that I would have full coverage for the whole year during construction.

Deene Ogden

Thanks

Dave, Deene, Mike----thanks for the responses.

Falcon is not answering their phone at this time. Ditto Pappas.

I have determined that my auto policy will not cover this, nor will Avemco.

Best bet so far seems to be CSA insurance, guy there is hanger neighbors with a guy who just had first flight on a -10 last week, so he is familiar with what I am attempting to do. Nationair insurance also can do it, however the folks I spoke to there dont sound like they know what I am talking about.

I will keep at it, and will post my results when I have some.

Mike

insurance

Mike,

I replied in the other post too but yep I do write through AIG and we can set the hull at the amount you need.

Thanks

Jim, check your phone messages----------I left a message with call back number.

Mike

Final result

Well, after a lot of phone calls, some of which never answered, some messages never returned, and some where I actually got to talk to a person, I have finally gotten an answer I can be satisfied with.

Jim Pappas, after a bit of initial contact difficulty's,----which he seems to have resolved now--- has been vigilant about finding a policy that will not only cover standard "Builders" insurance, but also the trip to bring the plane home on a trailer.

Cost is just under 1% of stated value for a 1 year policy.

Mike