RV10Rob

Well Known Member
I got a quote for builder's insurance for an RV-10 from NationAir, and while they were at it, they sent me some info on flying coverage. I was more than a little surprised at what they require (this was through AIG):
  • 250 hours TT
  • 100 hours high-performance
  • Instrument rating
  • 10 hours dual in type (less if you have more TT and HP time)

I have the TT and instrument rating, and the 10 hrs of dual sounds fine, but it would be hard (read: expensive) to do 100 hrs HP before I'm done building. I'm pretty sure I researched this months ago, so I'm assuming other companies don't have such strong requirements. What requirements have people seen recently for a -10?

Thanks...

-Rob

I only have 200 hrs, no HP, no IR and using the Vesta V-8 and I think they require 5 or 6 hrs dual. I am building the plane with somebody that has 900 hrs and is also a CFII. I don't know if that help lower the standards for me. I got taxi only insurance for $2,700 and I think it was $4,400 for full coverage. It is through NationAir and AIG. I believe they told me all the stuff when I first signed on for building insurance but I guess after being a customer for four years they lowered it.

I would recommend checking with Falcon insurance Agency at (830) 257-1000 if you have not already done so.

For our airplane, we're using Bob Sorrell of Aviation Insurance Representatives as an agent, and the only thing I need is 10 hours in make and model. I'm a CFI/II/MEI, with well over 1000 hours total, so that probably helps.

Bob specializes with homebuilts and warbirds, and is very knowledgeable with most of them. If you want his contact info. shoot me a private message and I'll send it to you.

It have been two years ago, but...

RV10Rob said:
I got a quote for builder's insurance for an RV-10 from NationAir, and while they were at it, they sent me some info on flying coverage. I was more than a little surprised at what they require (this was through AIG):
  • 250 hours TT
  • 100 hours high-performance
  • Instrument rating
  • 10 hours dual in type (less if you have more TT and HP time)

I have the TT and instrument rating, and the 10 hrs of dual sounds fine, but it would be hard (read: expensive) to do 100 hrs HP before I'm done building. I'm pretty sure I researched this months ago, so I'm assuming other companies don't have such strong requirements. What requirements have people seen recently for a -10?

Thanks...

-Rob
A friend insured his RV10 through AIG, he had about 250 hr, no instrument, 10 hr high-perf. and I think about 4 dual. I would talk with "skysmith" that is where he got his quote.

Kent

Sounds like I need to talk to a different agent. Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

-Rob

RV10Rob said:
Sounds like I need to talk to a different agent. Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

-Rob

Things can change over 2 months with insurance. We have been having a discussion on the Matronics list about this issue as well. The insurance minimums for the RV-10 makes no sense to me. When I started I got a quote at Oshkosh 2005 and they said the minimums were 200 hours and 1 hour of transistion training through Falcon. Then when I got closer they raised it to 250 hours and 10 hours. Now, many are asking for 250 hours, 20+ hours of time in type. This varies depending on how many hours you have in H/P aircraft. I had a friend who was a new pilot who wanted an RV-10 but the 250 hour minimum kept him from buying one. He had no problems getting insurance for an RV-6A though. I have flown both planes and the RV-10 I feel is much easier to fly. So, he is going to fly the -6A until he has the minimum hours for the -10.

I just don't understand how insurance companies justify their position when they let an 80 hour pilot get insurance for an RV-6A and they won't insure an RV-10.

ScottSchmidt said:
I just don't understand how insurance companies justify their position when they let an 80 hour pilot get insurance for an RV-6A and they won't insure an RV-10.
My guess is that there is much less exposure (hu$$) for a 6A, than for a 10. If you look at the breakdown for most insurance premiums, most of it is for the hull and only a fraction of it is for liability.