AdamF

I'm New Here
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at building one of several RVs, the one I really want is a -10. Would any of you be willing to share a range of what your insurance costs are? I would be interested in knowing what your hours logged are also. I will be a relatively low time pilot (~200hrs) by the time I complete my plane.

Thanks,
Adam

Insurance Cost

I have a quote for ~$3,300.

550 hours, commercial/instrument

Don't know it that helps....

Hope to fly late this summer.

I don't know for sure

But i'd be surprise if it was less than $5k for Hull and liability combined.

My RV7a was $2200 for 500 hours and 5 hours of dual instruction...The 5 hours of dual was $700 and change.

Remember on the 10 your passenger liability has increased THREE Times over that of the 2 seat models and your hull cost is up close to 150%.

Frank 7a

Insurance

My RV-10 insurance is $3,000 through Falcon. $150,000 hull coverage (probably underinsured if these things are selling for what I have heard) and normal liability coverage. I have 1100 hours and an instrument rating. They did not require any transition training.

Insurance

AdamF said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at building one of several RVs, the one I really want is a -10. Would any of you be willing to share a range of what your insurance costs are? I would be interested in knowing what your hours logged are also. I will be a relatively low time pilot (~200hrs) by the time I complete my plane.

Thanks,
Adam

The three major factors in insurance costs are: 1. The type of airplane. We are lucky here that the insurance companies seem to understand RVs and there are enough ot them to have a history. 2. Pilot history and qualifications. 3. Number of seats. More seats, more potential liability.

Remember, the hull coverage is the big part of the cost. On my '8' the liability coverage is $350 of the $1700 premium. That is based on a 100,000 value. I am a 11000 hour ATP, 500+ Tailwheel.

John Clark
RV8 N18U
KSBA

another question

I am very very low time student pilot (working on it) but I don't plan on flying my rv9a till I get further along.. my plane is about done and will be planning the inspection over the next month or so I think, need many others to come and check her over ect.. anyway I have a guy that agreed to test fly it and put some hours on it for the 40 hours, he is something like 20-30,000 hour pilot and has done many 1st flights.. but I need to insure him for this purpose.. what insurance will be needed for that ? any ideas ? I am not as concerned about the airplane at this point but I have to protect the test pilot and his wife ect.. and my a$$sets.. what have others done ?

Danny..

godspeed said:
I am very very low time student pilot (working on it) but I don't plan on flying my rv9a till I get further along.. my plane is about done and will be planning the inspection over the next month or so I think, need many others to come and check her over ect.. anyway I have a guy that agreed to test fly it and put some hours on it for the 40 hours, he is something like 20-30,000 hour pilot and has done many 1st flights.. but I need to insure him for this purpose.. what insurance will be needed for that ? any ideas ? I am not as concerned about the airplane at this point but I have to protect the test pilot and his wife ect.. and my a$$sets.. what have others done ?

Danny..

Give Falcon or Scott "Sky" Smith a call they will help you out. They will probably just give you a rate based off the test pilot. Once you get your license I would start flying right away. I would highly recommend visiting Alex or Mike Seager for some tranisition training before that point. Most insurance companies are requiring that now. My insurance required 10 hours in an RV-10 before I would be insured and I really wanted to do the first flight so I went up and flew with Mike Seager for 4 days. That was the best money I have ever spent on this project. Have a blast!

Danny

First off, very well done on your decision to be cautious and get someone else to to the first flights.

So many times we think we can do anything and the simple truth is we can but, not without training.

Probably the most humbling expereience I ever had was when I crashed a C152 with 70 hours TT. Yes doing something stupid. It was an expensive lesson but one that definatly changed my macho attitude.

it took 4 months for me to get back into an airplane after that..

Anyway i concur, Mike Seager is a great instructor and when he says your ready...Your ready!

Frank

Let me know how you come out. I am in the same boat and was going to let Pierre Smith do my 1st flight and 40 hrs. How do I get in touch with the people that was suggested??
Thanks

My partners and I just got a quote from skysmith for 5200 180 k hull. both my partners are 250 (20 hrs rv 9 time) hr pilots and they have to get 10 hrs dual.I have 575 hrs(275 rv 9).and am good to go.

But watch the requirements

ScottSchmidt said:
<snip>...Most insurance companies are requiring that now. My insurance required 10 hours in an RV-10 before I would be insured and I really wanted to do the first flight so I went up and flew with Mike Seager for 4 days. That was the best money I have ever spent on this project. Have a blast!

You will want to proceed carefully with insurance if you're a really low-time pilot. You really should try to get up to the 200 hour mark if possible before trying to insure your plane. At least one currently flying RV-10 pilot had his insurance company require 200 hours and an instrument rating to be insurable. (This is in addition to the normal requirement of anywhere from 2 to 10 hours in an RV-10 that most companies require.) I don't believe that in every single case this will be true, but the trend is leaning towards hours of that amount or greater, and instrument ratings are becoming more and more commonly required...or in the more relaxed case, they're the only way to the better rates.

Don't want to bring the hopes down, but people looking at the -10 should be aware that time and rating requirements may prevent them from flying their -10 alone for a while, so you're best getting those things out of the way before you finish the kit.
Tim

What about partnerships

I'm go down the partnership path, I have 2000 hrs of military time, he's just learing to fly?

I'm sure I'm not the first guy with this question...

Hostage46 said:
I'm go down the partnership path, I have 2000 hrs of military time, he's just learing to fly?

I'm sure I'm not the first guy with this question...

On my flying RV-6A, insurance is based upon the least qualified pilot, period. I'm mid-time (4000 hrs). It didn't cost a dime to add a 20,000 hr pilot. When I added a 200 hrs pilot, with 100+ in type, the cost skyrocketed. The insurance company did not care if that pilot was only going to make one flight a year. I inquired about me being PIC from the right seat. The aircraft has dual controls. They said OK, as long as it was solo. If someone sat in the left seat, they better be on the policy, or the flight will not be covered by the insurance.

Before anyone starts screaming about the FAA's position on PIC. The insurance companies have their own rules and they may be more restrictive than the FARs.

I am a 2000 hr pilot, instrument rated, 1000 hr complex, and I was quoted $2900 by EAA with 150K hull value, and an Eggenfellner Subaru E-6T engine.
5 hr transition in RV-10 required.

Steve Mills said:
I am a 2000 hr pilot, instrument rated, 1000 hr complex, and I was quoted $2900 by EAA with 150K hull value, and an Eggenfellner Subaru E-6T engine.
5 hr transition in RV-10 required.

Just a question for reference.... Do you know what the xtra premium is, if any, for the Subaru engine? What would the same quote be with a lyc 540?

Insurance

I am paying $2660 for ins on RV10 with no requirements. Have 1000 hrs with comm and inst. Its with AIG

they don't advise you to under insure your property, but i do. here's what i got for quotes. all of these are on 150,000 hull. jim pappas- 3104. nation air insurance- 3128 in flight, 1560 grnd only, 758 liability only. avemco- 6003 in flight, 2929- ground, 414 liability. just remember, if you under insure it and crash..........grab the instrument panel on your way out, hehe ;-) jeff ps- this was with 75 hrs in a rv10.

Last edited: