maus92

Well Known Member
I am installing the Music In and Rec Out jacks for my Garmin GTR20 comm radio LRU. Unlike the headset jacks, I cannot seem to find any insulating washers for the mini (1/8") jacks. Do I actually need them, and if so, where can I source them?

I have made them out of the plastic grommets you use for bulkhead penetrations. Forget what size works.

I did not use any and have had no issues. Like you I thought it would be a problem, but no problems so far. 50 hours on her.

In the past, (before Steinair had them) I made my own. A single layer of fiberglass cloth cured on a piece of aluminum. Drill out the correct size hole and use scissors to cut around the outside to make a washer the correct size. Make a fiberglass washer for both sides of the metal you will mount to. Now get a very short piece of heat sleeve to put over the shaft of the jack. May need to do the heat sleeve a few times to get the correct length. The heat sleeve may or may not need to be shrunk. Any insulting tube correct length and diameter will work.

More than likely, the jacks are the 1/8" size (3.5mm) and the insulators that Steinair sells will be too big.