WildThing

Well Known Member
Patron
So, I'm at SNF checking out the Dynon glass. My current plan is to stack 2 of the HDX800's for my EFIS and map functions with round ASI and ALT on either side as backups. The font size on the 7" displays is a bit on the smallish side (vs the 10" display) - but that of course depends on how far your Mark 1's are from the screen. SO... I need someone to go sit in their -8 and measure from the bridge of their nose to a point about 5" below the glare shield as I have full size pix of the 7" and 10" displays that I can then compare. Capischi?

This is just a preliminary run at what I'm shooting for.

Attachments

• Dual Dynon 7%22.pdf
    465.9 KB · Views: 163
24 inches in a 6

If the measurement from a -6 will help, it's about 24 inches...
Is there a reason you wouldn't consider putting in a single 10 inch display?
I haven't seen a HDX display in person but I expect the higher resolution will make it easier to see.

If the measurement from a -6 will help, it's about 24 inches...
Is there a reason you wouldn't consider putting in a single 10 inch display?
I haven't seen a HDX display in person but I expect the higher resolution will make it easier to see.

Thanks Paul, not sure if the -6 is the same distance as the -8, but I'm sure it's close. I want 2 screens, preferably up and down vs side by side so I have one as the Primary Flight Display (PFD) and one as the map and any other ancillary screens I care to look at. I don't like the left/right split screen setup on a single display if I can avoid having to use it (and Dynon doesn't split top/bottom). The symmetry of upper/lower in a centerline seating arrangement "feels better" to me. Picky? Yes. But if I can have my cake and eat it too.... ;)

As for the clarity of the screens - yes, the HDX is better. The Classic and SE are both good, but the higher res of the HDX is "sharper". The font size of the 7" is quite a bit smaller than the 10" at the same viewing distance though (20%-30%). The 10" is definitely easier to read at a given distance than the 7", but if the 7" is physically close enough to my eyeballs, then it's still acceptable.

Having flown both small and large HDX, I would only install the larger one. Size does matter….

Yes it does Dennis ;) And yeah, the smaller font MAY kill my preference, but I definitely prefer 2 screens because 1 - I really don't like switching back and forth between the PFD and the map, and 2 - I don't like the left/right split screen setup on a single display if I can avoid having to use it (and Dynon doesn't split top/bottom). The symmetry of upper/lower in a centerline seating arrangement "feels better" to me. Picky? Yes. But if I can have my cake and eat it too.... ;)

Yes it does Dennis ;) And yeah, the smaller font MAY kill my preference, but I definitely prefer 2 screens because 1 - I really don't like switching back and forth between the PFD and the map, and 2 - I don't like the left/right split screen setup on a single display if I can avoid having to use it (and Dynon doesn't split top/bottom). The symmetry of upper/lower in a centerline seating arrangement "feels better" to me. Picky? Yes. But if I can have my cake and eat it too.... ;)

I have a single 10 inch, zero issues with font size and just display both on the 10 inch so never need to switch anything. D10a for backup. I highly recommend the stand alone autopilot panel as a add on. The panel for setting baro and bugs is nice also.

Last edited:
I have a single 10 inch, zero issues with font size and just display both on the 10 inch so never need to switch anything. D10a for backup. I highly recommend the stand alone autopilot panel as a add on. The panel for setting baro and bugs is nice also.

The "view-ability" of the 10" is definitely nice. If they had a "portrait" orientation of it, I'd go with just 1 of them as Plan A.

Still in the deciding stage re: the knob set add-ons. One of the things I like about the Dynon is the ease of access to the "most used" in-flight settings like baro, autopilot, etc.

21” with a 3” thick seat back cushion. It looks like the seat back cushion compresses down to 2” when I am seated. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Then do two SkyViews, one big one small. I find this to work very well, and even turning off the big display I can do an approach on just the one smaller display.

Carl
500-CD095-E780-4-A37-BFC7-3-C68-A60-F72-E1.jpg

Then do two SkyViews, one big one small. I find this to work very well, and even turning off the big display I can do an approach on just the one smaller display.

Carl
500-CD095-E780-4-A37-BFC7-3-C68-A60-F72-E1.jpg

That's something I hadn't considered Carl, thanks for muddying the water ;) Even tho the lg screen would be off center, when in split mode, the PFD portion could be centerline. I still like the "symmetry" of stacked screens, and with the measurement that 74-07 provided, I'll have to sit behind my mock ups to see what's what. But your layout has potential. Hmmm, the plot thickens...

I just read my answer back to you and I want to make certain I was clear. I measured the seat back cushion before I sat down and it was 3 inches thick. Once I was seated, the seat back cushion compressed to about 2 inches. I then took the measurement from 5 inches below the glareshield bottom to the bridge of my nose while sitting upright. That measurement was 21 inches.

I just read my answer back to you and I want to make certain I was clear. I measured the seat back cushion before I sat down and it was 3 inches thick. Once I was seated, the seat back cushion compressed to about 2 inches. I then took the measurement from 5 inches below the glareshield bottom to the bridge of my nose while sitting upright. That measurement was 21 inches.

Thanks Rob! That's how I understood your answer :)

HDX1100 + HDX800

I too went with one big and one small HDX.
2 HDX1100 can fit side by side but I needed the place for the EFII controller and a future Avidyne screen...
I may have to order a new panel and lower the small screen for the Avidyne just above...

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpeg
    IMG_3853.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thanks Eric. A different question for ya - with your close adjacent layout, do you ever "bump" the intercom when using the radio - especially if there's some turbulence? Or do you usually just use the main EFIS screen to work the radio? I'm shooting for a "hand friendly" layout when it's a little choppy.

Jeff,
I don't find that I bump the Intercom when tuning radio with the SV-COM-PANEL even in turbulence.
I don't use the EFIS screen to change frenquencies.
I do use the screen menus for transponder codes, timer up or down and navigation.
I edited my previous post to add that 2 HDX1100 can fit side by side on a RV8 panel