cbnank

I need to punch the standard 3+ inch hole in my panel for the standard instrument hole. (Installing Dynon 10A).

Does anyone have the greenlee punch to do this that I could rent or buy? Looked at Harbor Freight and I do not believe they are the right size for standard instrument hole and new cost is sooooo high.

Please email me @ [email protected].

Thanks,

2.25 & 3.125 punch

i have one of the two sided punches available for rent. if you are punching aluminum i'll rent for $5/week + to and from 2day (fedex, ups, dhl or usps) shipping.

if you are punching stainless the fee will be the same $5/week +
a new corvette and overnight shipping to send the punch to the salvage yard.

panel punch

I need to punch the standard 3+ inch hole in my panel for the standard instrument hole. (Installing Dynon 10A).

Does anyone have the greenlee punch to do this that I could rent or buy? Looked at Harbor Freight and I do not believe they are the right size for standard instrument hole and new cost is sooooo high.

Please email me @ [email protected].

Thanks,

Carl,
Mike in Shepherdsville, KY here. I have both the 3 1/8 and 2 1/4 punches that you are more than welcome to borrow. If you want, come on by, see the plane and pickup the punches. I'll show you how to use them. Also have the jig to set up your instrument holes that you'll need as well.
Mike H 9A/8A

You likely won't be happy with the punch. Its difficult to get close to edges, especially the bottom edge, and puched edge is not so good. Been there done that, threw it in the trash. Best bet is to design it on a computer and find a shop that can laser cut it for you. WAY WAY less work, perfect fit, reasonable cost, and your plane will be done a lot sooner.

Second choice would be to cut the holes with a fly cutter.

Bob

PS, my punch is retired and rusting. Never again.

Last edited:
You likely won't be happy with the punch. Its difficult to get close to edges, especially the bottom edge, and puched edge is not so good. Been there done that, threw it in the trash. Best bet is to design it on a computer and find a shop that can laser cut it for you. WAY WAY less work, perfect fit, reasonable cost, and your plane will be done a lot sooner.

Different strokes for different folks I guess - I cut all the holes in the latest panel I did (Louise's -6) in 30 minutes with a panel punch, and they all turned out great. Used a fly cutter when I did my plane, and that works as well, but more nerve-wracking for me. Just thought I'd point out that the punch does work for some folks....:)

Paul

Used a fly cutter when I did my plane, and that works as well, but more nerve-wracking for me. Just thought I'd point out that the punch does work for some folks....:)

And I'm a fan of the fly cutter, which is my preference except for a machine shop. I make a few cutting revolutions on the top side by hand, and then flip it over. Slow speed, no oil, and a bit of jabbing with the drill press handle. The holes turn out very nice.

L.Adamson

Another option, and the one I used on my RV-10 panel is a plunge router along with a circle jig. Not quite as dangerous as a fly cutter, and I ended up with very nice edges on the holes.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Mike and I are conversing thru email. I appreciate Mikes kindness.

Havn't heard from Avery yet but the weekend is just over.

I appreciate everyone response and will bring everyone up to date when all is decided.

Thanks