Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
The last week I've been working on the forward cabin. I've completed match drilling the forward skin to the firewall and F-745 ribs, and other miscellaneous ribs. Everything fit well. The next step is to temporarily mount the instrument panel to the ends of the forward cabin ribs (F-745).

To my horror, when I went to mount the panel to the ribs I found that I could not get the holes in the panel to match up with the holes in the ends of the rib. The reason is because instrument panel is notched to make room for the forward canopy deck (F-721A). The top part of the notch rests on the deck. The fact that the instrument panel is resting on the canopy deck is preventing the instrument panel from going down far enough in the cabin to match up with the mounting holes on the forward cabin ribs.

The holes are off by about 1/8 of an inch. I can't see how everything fit so well and then this is off. Both the forward canopy deck and the ribs are very solid. I don't think applying a little force is going to solve the problem.

One thing I could do is trim the notch in the instrument panel so that the panel can rest down far enough to line up with the holes.

Has anyone experienced this problem. Any guesses as to what I might have done wrong? Did you trim the panel?

Thanks,
Michael-

Do you have clecos in the holes on the lower flange of the subpanel where the outboard and center portions overlap? There is quite a bit of sag in the center subpanel and it needs to be lifted up for everything to align. Everything on mine fits up fine, but it does take some pushing and shoving.

I remember I had a slight misfit too. Filed a bit here, trimmed there and it matched. Do not have picture this time sorry Michael.

Edit; we are talking Vans stock panel right?

Last edited:
Yes stock panel...

Yes it is the stock panel.

Bruce, thanks for the pointer. I did forget to cleco the two holes between the sections. And they are definitely not aligned. I'll bet if I take the whole thing apart and cleco those that when I put it back together the sag will be gone.

Thanks,
Michael-

Tug and Push

Like the others said. Make it fit. I didn't have to cut anything, just tug and push until it lines up. The subpanel area is a little floppy and the panel adds some rigidity to it. Especially on a tip up. Not clear to me which type you have. Sounds like you are just getting to the little fiddly angle brackets at the ends of the panel that are riveted to the canopy decks. Take your time, they stiffen the panel a lot.

Last edited:
Hey Michael, just seeing this post now. I think you will get two types of responses to this question... From those who fit the panel before the front top skin was clecoed on, and those who fit it after..

The top skin sucks down the entire forward deck about 1/8th inch. In this configuration the panel has to be trimmed a bit. I chose this because I didn't want to have any stresses in the forward ribs from the panel after installation.

Those who drill the panel mounts without the top skin, probably notice a bit of a tight fit once the skin is clecoed on.

Just my two cents.