Jamie

Well Known Member
I'm working on fitting up my instrument panel on my tip-up -7A.

I have the subpanel, ribs and forward top skin clecoed into place. The problem is that when I sit the instrument panel up on the forward canopy decks, the pre-punched holes in the panel and the ribs do not line up. It seems that the panel needs to come down about .15 or so on each side. The ribs have zero flex in them so I can't just force it to line up. The obvious fix is to just file down the corners of the panel where they sit on top of the decks, but I just wanted to get the thoughts of other builders, mainly with regard to the canopy frame and glare shield. If I move the panel down, is this going to create a fit problem for me in the future? It's hard to imagine what all that stuff is gonna look like just from the drawings.

I'm probably being a little over-anal here, but people are going to actually be able to see this stuff. :D

Same deal here

I had to do the same thing. I had to do a fair amount of filing in those "notches" in the panel on the sides. And I may not have done quite enough. My canopy frame touches (and chafes) the top of my panel in two spots. Could have brought the panel down another 1/32" and avoided that.

Anyway, just file away as much as you need in there so the holes in the ribs line right up. CNC...if it doesn't line up, you've done something wrong. :rolleyes:

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (733 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

It's an metal airplane :)

Try to heat it up or cool it off ... you will be suprised how much the plane 'moves' around just by putting it in the sun or shade. Also you could try to have someone sit on either wing, sometimes that twist will allow the screws or bolts to align with the holes.

51hs

I have a slider, but have you tried puting the panel and ribs and sub panel all together before you put on the top skin. With a slider we have poor to no access behind the panel after we put on the top forward skin so we do all the wireing befor the top skin go on. I hav put the top skin on an off and on ect. with no trouble with ribs, sub panel and panel all assembled. I am told the 7 and 9 are the same. Just my two cents, nothing more.
Harvey L.
RV9-A

Panel fit

I found the same as you and Dan. Just file to fix. What drove me nuts was the fit around the top deck. For this reason I made a Carbon Fiber overlay and used some poster board to cut/fit/trim until I had NO gaps showing. Also allowed for near perfect integration of the alumimum vents!! Picture below.

DArwin N. BArrie
Chandler AZ
DONE, awaiting inspection
panelbaggagetemplate0276zs.jpg