logansc

Well Known Member
I'm on my third panel modification (part of my first annual) and was wondering what design software everyone is using these days. I had ePanel Design but they appear to be defunct now. I just need to lay out my panel with the correct "virtual" instruments (decisions are all made already) and get (if possible) a CAD (.dxf, etc) file of it so my local metal shop can water jet it for me.

I've been asking around, but no one seems to have a good solution to offer. I've seen a couple that are pretty expensive, but honestly for an effort that won't take more than a half hour to lay out, they're asking a lot of money.

Any suggestions? Getting the notches on some of the round dials and the screw holes on some of the "glass" right is a bit tricky. New panel blanks aren't cheap either!

Thanks,

Lee...

One suggestion is to have a laser cut trial panel out of plastic (cheap). I am getting mine done that way and have been working with John (laser-logic.com) at Spruce Creek, Florida, whom I've known for many years. He tells me he now insists on cutting a trial panel for just the reasons you mention, and says he has never yet cut a final panel that wasn't modified in some way due to the builder discovering some problem (or preference) using the trial panel. He uses a CNC to cut the final panel, but the same .dwg file.

Now, to your original question about software. I used autocad, but then I use that in my work and it's expensive. I know John works with most builders and produces the drawing himself, hourly of course, but then you get the benifit of his experience, his software, and his cheap laser cut plastic panel. Might be less than trial and error method.

I used AutoCad

Lee,

I downloaded a 30 day trial of AutoCad. Doc sent me a panel file for the F1. I modified it for my instruments and had a local shop cut the panel. The holes matched the stock panel perfectly.

I'd forgotten this, but it did take 3 or 4 iterations to get here. I laid everything out in AutoCad and created a .pdf file. Took the .pdf file to the local FedEx and had it printed on one of their big printers. Cut out the paper and clecoed over the stock panel. Was able to take measurements and make corrections with it in the cockpit. Was also able to place the instruments and radios together to see how it all fit. Took the final version to a local fab shop where they gladly laser cut my "custom car dashboard" (as far as their insurance company knows). Turned out perfect the first time.

Last edited:
dwg or dxf or RV-8 panel needed

I want to lay out a new panel for my -8 but need a starting point. Does anyone have a dwg or dxf file for an -8 panel? I'm an experienced CAD user and have TurboCad on my home computer so am set to go but need a template.

UPDATE - Never mind. I found one in the downloads section of Van's website.

Last edited:
Lee, I have created a Solidworks assembly and exported it to .dwg format (AutoCAD) and had it lasered and bent by a friend of mine. I suggest you use the free DraftSight program (www.draftsight.com) which is made by the people behind Solidworks. If you need the outline of the panel, email me... My Solidworks assembly was based on dxf files sent to me by Petr from HPA, so it fits perfectly.

Sounds like everyone has worked this problem out in their own way. Back when ePanel was working, it was a lot easier! I ended up contacting Bill Morelli at http://www.upnorthaviation.com/. I did an actual size layout on a blank panel from TeamRocket (drew it out with a Sharpie) and sent it to UpNorth Aviation. Bill will generate a full scale drawing in PDF that I will get printed full size and check for fit. Once that is done (whatever iterations that takes), he'll cut my panel on a CNC router and send it to me.

I think it will work well...I'll try to get a picture of the finished product for review.

Thanks very much to everyone who checked in, I really appreciate the assistance.

Regards,

Lee...

Why would you trace a blank panel on paper and send it to the guy when the .dwg is available? It would save him a bunch of time.

The CAD file for the RV's is available dircectly from Van's as is the file for the F1 from Mark. Just note that with both the Rocket and the RV8 if you decide to make a new panel it's difficult to make the bend match the side panels exactly...so unless you make is larger (as shown in the pic of this thread) you'll need to take that into account. We would typically try to not have them quite that low and instead slope up the sides, but either way it'll work out fine whether you trace it or use the stock files.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein - I'm ordering a Skyview 10" from you today. Is there a panel blank dwg of dxf that you use to layout a new panel for an -8?

I understand that it would be tough to get the bend in the right place, and making the panel a little longer is a good idea. What do you mean by "slope up the sides?"

From Stein's Page...

gf1.jpg

This is a shot of George Fisher's panel with the sloped sides.

I didn't slope my panel as it was a little easier to fabricate. Won't be sure if I did the right thing until I'm flying and getting in and out of the plane.