erich weaver

Well Known Member
Patron
I’m upgrading my avionics a bit and as a result need to replace a small section of my modular panel. It doesn’t look like I have anything in my scrap bin that fits the bill, so will have to buy a small sheet and get it cut to size. Does someone know what alloy of aluminum is typically used for instrument panels? 6061T6? Maybe it won’t really matter but I would like the new piece to match the existing panel as close as possible. Thanks in advance.

I’m upgrading my avionics a bit and as a result need to replace a small section of my modular panel. It doesn’t look like I have anything in my scrap bin that fits the bill, so will have to buy a small sheet and get it cut to size. Does someone know what alloy of aluminum is typically used for instrument panels? 6061T6? Maybe it won’t really matter but I would like the new piece to match the existing panel as close as possible. Thanks in advance.
6061-T6 is a good selection. Especially if you plan on having the panel laser cut. That's because 6061 isn't clad like 2024. The clad layer reflects the laser light and causes trouble. The non-clad 6061 doesn't reflect the laser. As a rule the minimum thickness I like to use for main structural instrument panels is 0.090" but 0.125" is even better. Unless it's an overlay panel then 0.050" or 0.060" is usually fine since the panel is supported by the substructure. In your specific case you should pick a panel thickness that matches the piece of modular panel you are replacing so the panels fit smoothly together.

IMG_6931.jpeg
Snapshot off the plans...

Thanks guys. Will go with the 6061T6. I measured the thickness of my existing panel as 0.088, but that doesn’t seem to match with any aluminum sheet I see online at ACS, closest being 0.090. Not sure what the source of the discrepancy is. Perhaps it’s like buying lumber, where a 2x4 isn’t really 2x4?

The Vans standard panel that came in my kit was 2024-T3 .063 thick. This material is available from Spruce in sizes 12"×12" and upwards.

Thanks guys. Will go with the 6061T6. I measured the thickness of my existing panel as 0.088, but that doesn’t seem to match with any aluminum sheet I see online at ACS, closest being 0.090. Not sure what the source of the discrepancy is. Perhaps it’s like buying lumber, where a 2x4 isn’t really 2x4?

Go with 2024-T3 if your plan includes cutting and filing. Not a structural thing; 6061-T6 simply doesn't tool as nice.