rrd1_99

I've run across several posts lately that lament the lack of clear directions in the assembly instructions. Having thought about the topic a bit, I think it might be a good idea to open a discussion and get some opinions. Maybe we can keep some new builders from developing a misdirected sense of frustration?

It is absolutely true that the builder's instructions go in short order from being very detailed to "leaving some to the imagination". At times, this can be very frustrating and can leave a builder wondering how they will ever be able to complete the project if they can't get past some particular task.

But without fail, every time I have hit this wall, I have eventually had a great sense of accomplishment by finally figuring out how to make it work. Also, as part of that process, I typically figure out several ways NOT to do it! In the end, I have a much more complete understanding of the particular task than I would have if the instructions had walked me through every step.

I would not be surprised at all to find that Vans purposely writes the builder's instructions with this "curve" to force us builders to improve our skills. After all, if a builder is going to apply for a Repairman's Certificate they should be able to think through any given repair process for which there aren't step-by-step instructions.

The way I look at it, Vans sells kit parts. They are responsible for the quality of these parts, as well as for providing some specific information regarding their assembly. It is MY responsibility to learn how to build an airplane.:)

My two cents worth...

Roger
-9A slow QB
La Grande Oregon