rvamateur

Getting prepared for installing windscreen in my 10. I note that some builders have put down something black on the lower plexi that will be covered by the fiberglass layup..........what do people use?

Also, any tips on how to get that really nice edge on the transition of fiberglass to plexi.......some builders have it looking perfect.

Thanks for any input.......including referring me to archives or prior posts.:confused:

I outlined a window frame on the inside using electrical tape. I then sanded the surface lightly and painted with flat black latex paint. It took four coats to do the job, but the paint doesn't take long to dry when a hair dryer is used to speed things along. It looks great.

Four out of five dentists surveyed indicate that the flat latex paint will not harm the plexi...

Hi Michael.....

...When we did our -6A, we were advised to lay around ten strips of masking tape on top of each other along the line where the upper edge of the fiberglass will lay. We then built up the layers to that edge....yep, it takes quite a bit of work to end up with a clean edge.

Regards,

Most of us either mixed a little copier/printer toner into the epoxy for the first couple of layups or painted the interior of the windscreen black in that area.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Windscreenlayup

Thanks guys! Off to buy some toner and try that.

I clamped my rear windows too hard I guess and got some crazing there so ripped them out and preparing to try again.........gently.

Mike Lefever
5 years a day at a time