mikehoover

Well Known Member
Any ideas for how to get the plastic tee fitting to fit on the hard plastic 1/4" tubing in Vans static kit? That is a really tight fit. Can't push the tube on but about an 1/8". Suggestions? Also, I have seen builders put a loop at each static vent (left and right sides) before routing to the panel. Vans' instructions, which illustrate the RV-6 do not show any loops. Wonder what the loops are for. Seems the loops would trap moisture instead of letting it drain back out. Thanks!

FWIW I did the boiling water thing when I first installed my Van's static system, about 6 years before first flight. I recall them being fairly stiff, but doable.

However, when doing flight testing I had a 4% error in my IAS (high) and variable altitude readings when making low passes at various airspeeds.

While tracking down the static leaks I find all of the tubing originally in Van's kit had become brittle and cracked. I replaced it all with polyethylene tubing (like Lowe's sells for icemaker plumbing) which was quick, easy and cheap.

If I were doing it over again, I'd just use better tubing the first time. Note the crack where the tubing has popped off the "tee."

James Freeman

mikehoover said:
Any ideas for how to get the plastic tee fitting to fit on the hard plastic 1/4" tubing in Vans static kit? That is a really tight fit. Can't push the tube on but about an 1/8". Suggestions? Also, I have seen builders put a loop at each static vent (left and right sides) before routing to the panel. Vans' instructions, which illustrate the RV-6 do not show any loops. Wonder what the loops are for. Seems the loops would trap moisture instead of letting it drain back out. Thanks!

Here's a note Phil B. made about his install where he did make a water trap and had to redo it to make sure it would drain properly. This might help you, and note that he has a linked photo of his install.

http://www.myrv7.com/viewnotes.php?noteid=41