C-J

Do any of you have pictures of your installation for the IO/360 M1B horizontal induction system for an RV7? I found out from Vans it was really designed to fit the angle valve and not only do you have to modify it for the different width but also to clear the alternator. I have it close now, but I'm concerned about the engine movement and cowl chaffing. Any help, pictures or experience here would be appreciated. This is where I'm at: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ell&project=423&category=4050&log=65165&row=1

Thanks, the other CJ

Same problem.

I found out very late in the game that the FAB was originally designed for the 200 hp engine. I had already modified the FAB for alternator clearance. This involved a small cut and redo of the fiberglass, not a big thing. The cowling clearance was close, but now that I am flying it shows movement against the cowl. I will do as others in this forum have suggested and utilized the heat gun for some FAB reshaping. The ideal would have been to cut, shorten and reglass the FAB from the start. There are always 10% that don't get the message, count me in!

Good luck,
David

Do any of you have pictures of your installation for the IO/360 M1B horizontal induction system............ Any help, pictures or experience here would be appreciated.[/URL]

Thanks, the other CJ
CJ,

I had to trim away and reglass a small portion of the FAB to achieve positive clearance with the alternator. Sometime later I think, Van's directed builders to do something similar. It was a very easy fix.

6egqs7.jpg
315g11t.jpg
v7xhk.jpg

Induction

Hi David,

Is your cowl rubbing around the inlet or down below on the snorkle? Also is your heat muff on the front right side with the inlet on the right inlet floor? I'm still looking to see how that is done, I can't find a picture anywhere of one that is flying. Thx CJ

Snorkle hits

CJ
The snorkle contacts the cowl at the upper outside curve on the LH side. It barely touches, but not something you want to ignore.

The heat muff is on the lower RH side, #1 exhaust pipe.

kdabt5.jpg

David

Here's the right side of my engine install. I'll dig up one from the front and one from the left side if I can find em.

Last edited:
Hair dryer

CJ

I had the same problem area as Rick, but instead of cutting a large area away I borrowed my wife's hair dryer and heated the snokel. I then pushed it into the new shape that cleared the alternator. Then I put on another layer of glass to make sure it held the new shape. 65 hours later doing the annual this week, all is well, no rubbing etc.

Not a good photo but for reference:

Peter