Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
Is it an acceptable practice when installing SCAT hose, in this case 3", to cut the inner copper wire just short of the tube it is to fit over, and only clamp the orange cover?

I have been told this is frequently done. Thanks.

Inner Wire

What I was taught in A&P school and what I have seen over 31 years is to bend about an inch of the inner wire outwards toward the opening and cut it at the opening. Sort of like a tab that ensures the wire stays positioned and has less of a chance to unravel. Make sure the outer thread is under the clamp also.

scat tubing

If you snip the wire the end is pretty sharp and likely to poke holes in the tube so bending it toward the outer end of the hose is desirable, it is also better to have the wire clamped to the flange under the hose clamp. The copper you mention is tempered steel and is much easier to work if you can heat it first. You can use a small torch but I like to clip an aligator clamp on two places and pass a 12 volt current between them for a secound or two, making sure you don't burn the tubing wall or youself. The cut end is then soft enough to fold back on itself leaving nice and round.

Running a thin bead of orange (high temp) RTV along the hose on two sides is not a bad idea as it keeps the string from unraveling as often happens.
Chuck Ross