ESPRV4

Hi all.
Have currently got my -4 fuse skins drilled and clecoed, but have seen a lot of pics of builders fitting and installing rudder/brake controls BEFORE riveting skins on. Plans say to fit AFTER all skins are riveted and out of the jig. Seeking opinions and advantages/drawbacks of either approach.

Cheers
David Taylor
Tail----done!
Wings----done!
Working on the ''canoe" (fuselage)

Pros and cons

Hi,

they are much easier to fit with the skins off...... better access...... no crawling about inside the fuselage, but they will get in the way when riveting other parts, will need masking when painting in the fuselage.

Dont forget to fit lower firewall gussets before closing up the skins its a pain afterwards.

Dave Taylor

Dave I know painting may be problem,but I am trying to rivet as many brackets and braces as possible before covering up.I try to study manual and plans to see what might be attached to anything,before going ahead.
Early RV4 # 438, empenage done except for fiberglass tips,wing spar reinforcements done(with help from local A/P),flaps,airllerons done,starting on fuselage,most bulkheads done.Odd order due to type of work space avail-
bil at different times. NEW garage at new location hopefully this summer.
Tom Hankamp

-4 Rudder/brake controls

Hi all

Thanks for the advice, I already have back pain from drilling skins from inside the slim -4 fuse !. Think i'll fit and rivet them before the skins go on.

Cheers
David Taylor