jimgreen

Well Known Member
Time to install my shiny new RV200. Engine is an aerosport IO360. It seems straight forward but I've never done it before. Would someone walk me through it so I don't screw up?
Thanks.

I guess nobody has ever installed a prop. I just want to know if it is straight forward or if there is any special know-how required. Anyone?

Before you go ahead and mount it there "may" be a certain way. For one, the lugs may be set up such that you have to mount it in a certain position. So look closely at how far the lugs come out of the flange. Then wait for better advice than I can give.

Or consider googling "mount propeller"

Mounting prop

Jim,

I don't know where you live on Vancouver Island, but in Victoria you have several experienced RV builders. One that comes to mind is Norm Younie, and there is John Howroyd living in Victoria and finishing a new residence in Duncan with his own landing strip. Either one of the gentlemen can surely give you some guidance.

Thanks for the replies. I had already tried google with no luck.
I guess I'll check with American Propeller on Monday.

not much too it...

Jim, I have a whirlwind 200 RV prop and can give you some highlights...

make sure to remove the forward crank plug on the engine... some come with a plastic insert that is an obvious removal, others come with a metal plug that needs to be removed using a punch and pry method (I used a standard screw driver and a hammer); clean the residue from the plug seal.

inside of the prop hub there is an o-ring, make sure to lubricate it.

mount the prop; there are two lugs that are flush, the others are raised up so that you don't mess up the clocking of the blades.

start turning the lug studs by hand while holding the prop and hub to the engine... continue to tighten a bit at a time on each so that the prop hub keeps tightening uniformly.

once the hub is flush and the studs are close to getting torqued make sure that all of them are pretty much tightened down the same.

torque each stud in a star pattern and mark the torque with a sharpie

check the tip tracking on the prop to ensure that the hub is truly flush

safety the studs in pairs... since the proper torque was marked with a sharpie you can back it off to make it easier to get the safety wire in then tighten the stud back to the mark.

ta da...

try not to bang tools into the prop while you continue to finish the plane.

Last edited:
I'll give it a shot.......

Pretty straight-forward, all in all. If you carefully inspect the back of the hub on the prop, you will see two recesses around two of the bolts which will be diametrically opposed. These recesses allow the lug that sticks out of the hub on the engine to fit in. The prop can go on in only two orientations, and it doesn't matter which way, as they are 180 degrees out from each other.

Inside the hub on the prop should be a large O-ring nestled into its groove. Make sure it is there, then lube it, preferably with Parker O-ring lube, or engine oil.

Then get a helper to assist you in lifting and mounting the prop. Don't try it by yourself. The bolts will need to be started and run in a bit at a time, all together so as to pull the prop in straight. Some shifting and "persuasion" will be required.

Bolts need to be torqued properly. There is a special "Prop Wrench extension" available, which makes the torque job easier, but there are other ways. Don't forget to adjust the torque wrench reading for the extension.
After torquing, the bolts should be safety-wired, a "non-trivial task." :p

Run engine, cycle prop several times until properly operating, shut down, check for leaks.

Install spinner.

Prediction: You're gonna like this prop!!!!

Hope this helps.

PS: This off-the-cuff advice does not substitue for following manufacturers instructions, and is worth what you paid for it.!! As they say: YMMV.

EDIT: Looks like SChristo replied while I was typing!! Similar advice, so you can pick and choose.

Last edited:
Looks like most was covered here but I would add one thing. You want to make sure your alternator is set up in its approximate location first and that the belt is in place. Forget this one and you can do it all over again.
Ryan

Steven, Pete and Ryan, thanks for the good advice. Time to round up a posse of helpers.
It looks like a great prop and has lots of devotees. What surprises me is the lack of documentation. No service manual. Nothing useful on the website.
I must be missing something. I guess I'll call Kevin.

What surprises me is the lack of documentation.

Yeah, I had the same bitch. They really need to have some paper outlining the installation process.

The advice above fits my experience and recollections. Go slow and get it right the first time because it is a laborius process. Check your torque wrench - mine didnt even go to a high enough value, let alone the fit/access issue. Had to find somebody with the right tool for the job, which was some sort of fancy torque wrench/crows foot combo.

Be careful that you are not gouging the hub when you torque the nuts - easy to do and not realize it given the force required.

You will not enjoy getting the safety wire on, so be mentally prepared for that.

good luck

erich

I had to replace a couple screws on the back of the spinner backplate as they rubbed the face of the cowl. I replaced the pan head screws with tapered head screws and trim washers and then countersunk the backplate to keep the screws flush. I'm not positive but I think it was the screws that held the two backplate halves together. If you have a large gap behind the spinner it wouldn't be a problem.

Engine hoist too.

Hi.

Lots of good advices here as usual. :)
I just like to add one more thing: using the engine hoist is making the start easier.
To get all the bolts to enter correctly can be a PITA. Using the hoist making things alot easier.

You might also want to consider removing it again after the cowls have been fitted.
We're working in small shop and it's much easier to work around the engine without the prop bolted on.

Besides, the paintshop I'll be using for painting the plane later on, prefer to work on the cowls (sanding, priming, painting etc) without the prop on the plane.

Steven, Pete and Ryan, thanks for the good advice. Time to round up a posse of helpers.
It looks like a great prop and has lots of devotees. What surprises me is the lack of documentation. No service manual. Nothing useful on the website.
I must be missing something. I guess I'll call Kevin.

Well,I guess I have to eat my words, some of them at least. In the front of the prop log are directions for installation! I was expecting a separate doc as part of a service manual. It does not however, replace the valuable advice I get from this forum. That is priceless.

The other point made was that comparing MT and Whirlwind documentation is misleading since MT covers the certified market as well as experimental.

Of course that affects what you pay for the product.