andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I can't seem to find any plans/instructions for cutting the plexiglass lens or on how to attach it to the fiberglass wingtip. If there is a plan out there could someone email it to me or fax me 613-836-8708 or post a picture.

Thanks,

Andrew Phillips
7A QB - working on everything

The plans don't show much ...

I don't have them handy, but I remember that they didn't really help a lot. Basically, cut the lens in half and then keep cutting until they fit - which is easier said than done. I was not able to get all the edges perfectly flush, so I'm fairing the tips to match the lense!

The plans show using just 2 screws to hold them in place - 1 in the upper inside corner and 1 in the lower inside corner. I put in more than that.

It's Art!

Buildign these planes is part engineering, part art....this part is art! Do it like Rick says - cut until they fit. I used just two screws, and they work fine.

Paul

I found on my lenses there were light scribe marks on the outer edges, I just cut to these lines and it fit great. I see vans uses two screws on their aircraft, but I used 6.

I found my lens instructions in the bag with the hardware. As mentioned above, they aren't very helpful.

Use a big honkin' file

I found that my "*******" file works perfectly on this lens and I was able to get it to fit really nicely. Just take care not to scratch the lens.

Thanks for all the input

I cut the lenses with a grinding wheel on a dremel then finished trimmed them on a stationary belt sander. it took about 10 mins to do both and they look great! I still need to drill the holes for the screws and I am done!