hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
As you may recall from my previous post, My 3rd automotive alternator failed after only 2 hours, the first two lasting a combined 200 hours. I decided to put in a Plane Power 60 amp "experimental" replacement. This is a builder's report on how it went. Perhaps you are thinking of doing the same swap.

The Good:
  • The kit arrived from Van's as promised and the parts looked all first class to me. All the nuts, bolts, washers and brackets are in the kit along with the pre-wired plug and the belt.
  • Van's price is about $65 less than "list". Van's helped me out with same-day fill/ship for overnight delivery.
  • The bracket fits my Superior 360 as it should. Boss mount.
  • The included belt was the right length.
  • The alternator is smaller than the one it replaced and the belt is shorter so clearance inside the cowl was not an issue.
  • The wiring was very easy since I only had to connect one wire from the plug to my existing wire for field voltage. Well, the output side, too.
  • The diagram-instruction sheet was well done and easy to follow.
  • The cover over the electronics at the back of the alternator is metal, not plastic as in the ones I had before. I think it will do a better job of shielding from heat. A blast tube is recommended.

The Not As Good:
  • Since the belt is shorter, I had to remove the spinnner, crushplate, bulkheads, prop, extension and ring gear support. This is no big deal but it is time consuming.
  • The brace that goes from the main mounting bolt - the one that goes through the bracket - to the inboard side of the starter is just wrong for my aircraft. I have a B&C starter. I don't know if that made a difference, but the length was not even close to being correct. I don't know why this brace is needed and for now, it is not attached at the starter end.

The Merely Interesting:

I noticed in the instructions that the last step is to first start the engine and then to energize the alternator. Since so many folks have said this is a bad idea, I called Plane Power. They said that their electronics will handle it either way and in fact, starting the engine first ensures that the cooling fans are running before energy begins to warm to alternator.

• The brace that goes from the main mounting bolt - the one that goes through the bracket - to the inboard side of the starter is just wrong for my aircraft. I have a B&C starter. I don't know if that made a difference, but the length was not even close to being correct. I don't know why this brace is needed and for now, it is not attached at the starter end.
Another data point... This brace fit mine perfectly but I am using a Skytec flyweight starter.

I noticed in the instructions that the last step is to first start the engine and then to energize the alternator. Since so many folks have said this is a bad idea, I called Plane Power. They said that their electronics will handle it either way and in fact, starting the engine first ensures that the cooling fans are running before energy begins to warm to alternator.

The reasoning is certainly interesting. Never thought about "pre-cooling" before.

I've known people who start Van's stock alternators, before and after, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I hate to mention this but

The belt was shorter in my PP kit too..but rather than pull the prop I simply used the Vans adjuster bracket (which is longer then the PP bracket) and kept the old longer belt.

Fitted just fine and saved all that prop pulling.

Frank

..... I had to remove the spinnner, crushplate, bulkheads, prop, extension and ring gear support..... ...... I don't know why this brace is needed and for now, it is not attached at the starter end.
I lucked out and the existing belt that drove the Van's 60 amp alternator that failed mechanically and electrically after relatively few hours happened to fit the replacement Plane Power unit perfectly so I did not have to remove the prop.

That brace is a key support element for the Plane Power alternator. The automotive alternator originally fitted to my O-320 lacked such support and I believe that contributed to the breakage of the casting that occurred. While some builders have experienced trouble free operation, that casting was never really designed to endure the rigors of aircraft use. See the last post #26 for graphic photos of the extent of the damage:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=80315&highlight=alternator+woes#post80315

The Plane Power unit has performed perfectly since that post was submitted in 2006.

Mine has different bracket

I lucked out and the existing belt that drove the Van's 60 amp alternator that failed mechanically and electrically after relatively few hours happened to fit the replacement Plane Power unit perfectly so I did not have to remove the prop.

That brace is a key support element for the Plane Power alternator. The automotive alternator originally fitted to my O-320 lacked such support and I believe that contributed to the breakage of the casting that occurred. While some builders have experienced trouble free operation, that casting was never really designed to endure the rigors of aircraft use. See the last post #26 for graphic photos of the extent of the damage:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=80315&highlight=alternator+woes#post80315

The Plane Power unit has performed perfectly since that post was submitted in 2006.
My bracket is a very thick single piece of cadmium plated steel replacing the F shaped aluminum one Van's provided. The entire way in which the bracket and the alternator fit together is much different than the F bracket so keeping the old belt would not have been an option in this case. I also don't see any possibility of that failure mode with my bracket. See this. I'm happy to hear that you have had good results. I hope I do!

Interesting

Thats exactly what I was shipped and it fit with my skytech flyweight starter..The old longer belt (used with the Vans longer tensioning bracket) fit just fine.

if I ever remove the prop I will change to the PP supplied belt and tensioning bracket.

Its a great alternator, you'll love it!

Frank

Follow Up

Thats exactly what I was shipped and it fit with my skytech flyweight starter..The old longer belt (used with the Vans longer tensioning bracket) fit just fine.

if I ever remove the prop I will change to the PP supplied belt and tensioning bracket.

Its a great alternator, you'll love it!

Frank

The problem with my brace is because I have the B&C starter, according to PP. That, they say, is the only one where the brace does not fit. They and I agreed that the main bracket does not really need a side brace, though. The old tensioning bracket did not line up quite right (fore-aft) so it had to go.

I tested the installation today and all was up to specs. 14.5 V at idle.

Oh right

I do seem to remember using a spacer behind the old bracket to get it to line up properly..Still a lot easier than removing the prop though..At least in my installation.

Frank

I have the Plane Power alternator and B&C Starter. Here's what I did with that bracket:

Original bracket with pilot hole drilled for then new mounting hole location:
DSC00397.JPG

Modified bracket. Hole drilled closer, remainder trimmed off, relief filed into one edge.
DSC00398.JPG

Installed
DSC00403.JPG